• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

right regarding equity on a house after break up from fiance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lilsox72

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado.
If me and my fiance got a house together he had the down payment for it but we both paid the mortgage on for last three yrs. Am I entitled to only my half of the equity is all I'm asking for. He still gets his down payment and his half of the equity.

My fiance and I got a house together his down we both paid mortgage for last three yrs.I want to leave and call the relationship quits. He's gotten a domestic on me and I want to get me and my child out but we have no where. Can he just kick me out and I loose all of my investment in house. Or can I be entitled to half the 100 grand in equity in the three yrs. That's still leaves him his down he put in to house and half the equity so he's not out anything. And me and my son can have the money we need to start fresh and move. This is what I believe is fair.but I don't know the law and my son is not his son just mine.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado.
If me and my fiance got a house together he had the down payment for it but we both paid the mortgage on for last three yrs. Am I entitled to only my half of the equity is all I'm asking for. He still gets his down payment and his half of the equity.

My fiance and I got a house together his down we both paid mortgage for last three yrs.I want to leave and call the relationship quits. He's gotten a domestic on me and I want to get me and my child out but we have no where. Can he just kick me out and I loose all of my investment in house. Or can I be entitled to half the 100 grand in equity in the three yrs. That's still leaves him his down he put in to house and half the equity so he's not out anything. And me and my son can have the money we need to start fresh and move. This is what I believe is fair.but I don't know the law and my son is not his son just mine.
Are you both on the deed? Are you both on the mortgage, or is the mortgage in his name and you have just been helping to make the payments on the mortgage?

Did you want to keep the house to live in, does your fiancé want to keep the house to live in, or are you and your fiancé in agreement that the house should be sold?

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Let's assume that what you want is the legally correct way to handle things. You get half the equity that has accrued since the house was purchased and he gets the other half PLUS the down payment that he provided. That is still not going to provide a short-term solution to your housing concerns. Getting that money is going to take time. You need to speak to local women's shelters or, perhaps, local churches about what help can be provided short-term.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">