• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rights for a Cab Driver

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

theblognovice

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

“I'm a cab driver in Chicago. I recently received in the mail three violations for throwing a passenger out of my cab. 1) Not taking the direct route 2) Not being knowledgeable about the city 3) Refusing service. My question is do I have a right, if I'm feeling uncomfortable and feel my safety is at risk to throw a passenger out of my cab?”

James Wilson

1.A taxi driver has the right to ensure that passengers have the ability to pay the expected fare or request a deposit up to the estimated fare before starting the trip.
2.Drivers are not required to accept or continue with a taxi trip if passengers are violent, noisy, misbehaving, filthy or offensive.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
1.A taxi driver has the right to ensure that passengers have the ability to pay the expected fare or request a deposit up to the estimated fare before starting the trip.
2.Drivers are not required to accept or continue with a taxi trip if passengers are violent, noisy, misbehaving, filthy or offensive.
Do you have a citation to validate this information?

quincy

Here is a link to the City of Naperville, Illinois, website for a list of general guidelines for taxi cab licensing: http://http://www.naperville.il.us/taxis.aspx.

A taxi cab driver cannot refuse to pick up a passenger, without risk of being reported and fined (hence the receipt by theblognovice of one of his three violations).

Any law or city ordinance that allowed for a taxi driver to refuse to pick up, or to release from a ride, any "filthy" or "offensive" passenger would be found unconstitutional.

If theblognovice does not know his city well enough to be able to take a direct route, and if he is afraid to pick up passengers, he should probably find another line of work.

I, like Zigner, am curious from where James Wilson got his information.

tranquility

Here is a link to the City of Naperville, Illinois, website for a list of general guidelines for taxi cab licensing: http://http://www.naperville.il.us/taxis.aspx.

A taxi cab driver cannot refuse to pick up a passenger, without risk of being reported and fined (hence the receipt by theblognovice of one of his three violations).

Any law or city ordinance that allowed for a taxi driver to refuse to pick up, or to release from a ride, any "filthy" or "offensive" passenger would be found unconstitutional.

If theblognovice does not know his city well enough to be able to take a direct route, and if he is afraid to pick up passengers, he should probably find another line of work.

I, like Zigner, am curious from where James Wilson got his information.
If one were to use the old cut and paste a whole sentence trick, one might find that's the way they roll in Australia.

quincy

If one were to use the old cut and paste a whole sentence trick, one might find that's the way they roll in Australia.
Ahhh. So James Wilson is either visiting us from Australia, or he seems to think the laws in Australia are the same as the ones in the U.S., huh?

Well, in case he returns to this thread and is thinking about adding additional words of inapplicable wisdom, here is a link with additional links that he can read through first. The Illinois Human Rights Act, 775 Ill CS 5: http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=2266&ChapterID=64

There have been several publicized incidents recently of taxi cab drivers in Illinois fined for violating discrimination laws. I am often puzzled by those who go into a service industry when they are reluctant to, or refuse to, serve.

I'mTheFather

If my safety was at risk, I sure wouldn't attempt to force someone out of my vehicle. I'd radio for help. Maybe that's what the city of Chicago expects.

quincy

If my safety was at risk, I sure wouldn't attempt to force someone out of my vehicle. I'd radio for help. Maybe that's what the city of Chicago expects.
Taxi cabs, apparently, are designed with bullet proof dividers and seat backs that protect a driver from bullets and knives. Cabs are equipped with a communications system set up for emergencies. It seems to me, as it does to you, I'mTheFather, that it would be far more dangerous for a cab driver to eject a passenger than to deliver the passenger to either his destination or, if the cab driver knows the city as well as he should and he fears for his life, to deposit the passenger at a police station.

quincy

MCC 9-104-040a Public Chauffeurs Rules and Regulations

CH11.02
CH5.02
CH5.04
Zigner was asking for cites for the information provided by James Wilson, who is from Australia. What J.Wilson provided does not apply to Illinois.

Is your license being suspended/revoked, theblognovice?

theblognovice

Police Station Deposit

Taxi cabs, apparently, are designed with bullet proof dividers and seat backs that protect a driver from bullets and knives. Cabs are equipped with a communications system set up for emergencies. It seems to me, as it does to you, I'mTheFather, that it would be far more dangerous for a cab driver to eject a passenger than to deliver the passenger to either his destination or, if the cab driver knows the city as well as he should and he fears for his life, to deposit the passenger at a police station.
While I appreciate the response and feedback, I can tell you that the idea is good in theory. I recently had someone in my cab, in which I tried to call the police, and the dispatcher wanted to know what the crime was. My passenger was drunk, and giving me directions back and forth on the street. He soon jumped out of the cab and started running. When I pursue, the dispatcher said she couldn't send the police because I was no longer at my location.

theblognovice

Status of my licence

Zigner was asking for cites for the information provided by James Wilson, who is from Australia. What J.Wilson provided does not apply to Illinois.

Is your license being suspended/revoked, theblognovice?
I'm preparing to represent myself in court on Aug. 15th. I'm looking for answers about my constitutional rights under the Bill of Rights.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">