• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roofing contractor damaged property while on the job...What are my rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rexlan

Thank you for all your postings. They have all been very helpful!

I want to ask you all for some advice on a related topic. As per the contract I signed with the roofers, I was to give them half of the money prior to the job, and the other half after the job is completed. I am now withholding the other half of the payment until I find out what my righst are, or until they take responsibility for their negligence. Is it illegal for me to do this?
Absolutely. I never pay up front anyway.

I would get a firm quote for the repair and have it done. Pay them the balance owed less the repair. Add a notation to the check, full and final payment.

Attach a copy of the repair cost and with your payment. If they wish to pursue it they will need to take you to small claims. You may, per the other posters advice, win this issue in court.

You are in the drivers seat ... not them.

However, if they have otherwise perform the roofing service satisfactorily then I would be inclined to pay them immediately and in full, less the damage.

Good luck

xylene

I have indeed seen roofers carry down old material from a roofing job in buckets.

Another controlled way of removing roofing is via a chute.

When roofing material is pushed directly of the pitch, a competent contractor will ensure that it is done in a controlled and safe way for the people and property that may be below.

Having scene both competent and incompetent roofers - it is very easy to the difference.

Any layman can see the difference between roofing material being directed to a dumpster or tarp below versus being flung or cast down without regard to obstruction or danger below.

Good luck Original Poster, I hope you completely avoid the hassel of court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">