• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rule NISI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thothren

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I am representing myself as the Plaintiff in a lawsuit against a former landlord. About 30 days ago I sent interrogatories. Today I get something in the mail from the defendants lawyer saying RULE NISI************** The above foregoing matter having been read and considered, let the same be filed and let the Defendants show cause before this court**************...as to why the prayers of the Plaintiff should not be granted.

So I have a hearing on this RULE NISI motion, what does it mean?

thothren

I googled it before I came here, that doesn't tell me anything.
Nothing here says I didn't find sites with answers. What it says is I don't understand the answers and wish some clarification in laymans terms. I'm just wondering if this is going to be a hearing for some particular motion or whether this is going to be the final hearing to which I need to subpoena all my witnesses.

Rexlan

Nothing here says I didn't find sites with answers. What it says is I don't understand the answers and wish some clarification in laymans terms. I'm just wondering if this is going to be a hearing for some particular motion or whether this is going to be the final hearing to which I need to subpoena all my witnesses.
Hearing for a motion ... not final. I think Georgia is about the only state that still uses this. Essentially it is a form that schedules a hearing by the clerk .... BS for the most part. If your interogs are the only thing in play right now then they are probable objecting to them.

If their time to answer has expired your need to send them a letter demanding the answers right away and then in 10 days you can file a Motion to Compel ... two can play the game. But, you must send the letter first per RCP .... look it up.

thothren

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer this. Everything I read on Rule NISI's had to do with divorce hearings. And it sure was good to know how to handle the interogs, I'll be sure to follow your advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">