• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Salary Garnishment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cdf556

i live in georgia. i have a student loan that has been in default and turned over to a collection agency. the collection agency contacted me via letter and said it would garnish my wages if i did not make payment arrangements with them. i sent the agency a letter indicating that i would pay 100.00 per month. i mailed them 100.00 in april 2001. they accepted and cashed my check.

now they are requiring 1300.00 from me before they will accept my offer of a repayment schedule @ 100.00 per month. if i don't comply they will move forward in garnishing my salary. i don't have access to that kind of money and they won't work with me. additonally they just received a payment of $6000.00 in february from my income tax refund that they intercepted.

is there anything i can do or any legal advice out there that might help me with this situation?

JETX

Sorry, but there is no statutory obligation for a creditor to accept (or even negotiate) amounts or payments other than in accordance with the original agreement. Further, there is no obligation for them to 'work with' you.

Regretfully, the only thing you can do is to pay the money that you owe, or suffer the consequences in accordance with the laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">