• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

school allowed someone else to sign a permission slip

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Mark, the post was about the issues with the school but since you've inquired. My x husband is 34 years old male who still lives with his mother. Between the two of them one is with the children at the school, and therapy sessions that dad has been court ordered to comply with. As a result of this, my children refuse to talk to their therapist if dad or grandma is present. Our current 50/50 custody agreement is no longer working for him and he has petitioned the court to relinquish me of my parental rights. I do have an attorney but don't feel this is an issue I should have to involve my attorney. If you'd like me to elaborate on dad and grandmas other dysfunctional behaviors I can. However I am not interested in clouding this matter with irrelevant information.

This is a serious issue with a simple solution. My children should have the right to learn and function at school without dad, grandma or me for that matter glued to their side and causing a distraction. Grandma has discussed court matters and adult issue with my children while at school, she has even kept my daught erin from recess to 'spend time' with her. This is so inappropriate. Grandma is a volunteer, and to remedy I asked from her to be removed from the classroom.
I actually didn't inquire about, and I am personally not interested in, why you think that your x husband and his mother are dysfunctional, nor why you got a divorce, nor why you are fighting for custody. This is a forum for legal issues, not a forum for you to trot out all of your complaints about your x husband and his mother. If your issue with the school isn't a legal issue, and you don't anticipate it possibly escalating to such, then it doesn't really belong here. If this is a legal issue, or you think that it might escalate to such, then I reiterate that you should talk with your attorney because they have all of the relevant background that you cannot possibly provide here. I think others have given you very good pre-legal advice on how to approach the school. If you're not willing to take their pre-legal advice, and you're not willing to talk with your attorney about how to approach the problem legally, then there's really not much point to this thread other than for you to vent - which I don't think is the purpose of the forum.

momyof2

Can you recommend a different approach to address this with the school? I'm pretty surprised they are admitting fault by suspending the volunteer for 1 month, but unwilling to comply with the request to remove her from the classroom. The way I have interpreted the california laws, she clearly broke the law by signing the permission slip. I feel the teacher is liable as well since the permission slip was signed in front of her, the school isn't concerned about this either.
My only intention is to remove this liability and distraction from my children's classroom, I'm not looking for a lawsuit, but I'm afraid it is going that way.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There is no requirement that the school remove a volunteer from the classroom.

What law do you feel she broke by signing the permission slip?

momyof2

All of this has already been reviewed with the school several times. My son is 6 and a boy, so I'm lucky if he remembers to bring his backpack home, but dad cleans the back pack out and takes things like the permission slips out. I have informed the school of this and understandably they have hundreds of kids, they can't call me every time something goes home. I've personally talked with the teachers and let them know things don't make it home to me and now I'm crossing my fingers his helps. I still need to deal with the school though on why this behavior is acceptable.

Zigner

All of this has already been reviewed with the school several times. My son is 6 and a boy, so I'm lucky if he remembers to bring his backpack home, but dad cleans the back pack out and takes things like the permission slips out. I have informed the school of this and understandably they have hundreds of kids, they can't call me every time something goes home. I've personally talked with the teachers and let them know things don't make it home to me and now I'm crossing my fingers his helps. I still need to deal with the school though on why this behavior is acceptable.
One question: Would you have signed the slip?

It seems to me that grandma signed the permission slip on behalf of her son (the child's father) because both of you neglected to do so.

momyof2

Zigner, the permission slips are to be signed by a parent or guardian, the grandmother is neither. She is in the classroom acting as a volunteer. This is what california educational state law says...

Zigner

Zigner, the permission slips are to be signed by a parent or guardian, the grandmother is neither. She is in the classroom acting as a volunteer. This is what california educational state law says...
The permission slip was signed on behalf of a parent by an agent of said parent.

I really get the feeling this is more about your fight with dad than it is about the welfare of the child.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
The permission slip was signed on behalf of a parent by an agent of said parent.

I really get the feeling this is more about your fight with dad than it is about the welfare of the child.
Allow me to explain further.

Junior arrives at school day of the field trip. He has the money, but no signed slip.

Granny, Classroom Volunteer Extraordinaire, calls Dad:
"Junior can't go on the field trip because neither you or Mom signed the permission slip."

Dad to Granny:
"Sign the slip, Granny, please. Don't allow Junior to miss out on this educational opportunity."

That concludes our little sketch. Come back next week and watch the FA Players in a dramatization of 'How to Co-Parent Successfully on Less Than $6 a Day'. :cool:

momyof2

Zigner, when the paperwork went home for the field trip dad kept it, then as the field trip came he signed a permission slip, I guess it was originally distorted (this is the story I got from the teacher, I don't know what happened for sure), so grandma said she would sign another. I had just dropped my son off and my cell phone was on file. To me there's no excuse of why she should have signed the permission slip.
Yes, I would have signed the permission slip, I would have also attended the trip.

Zigner

Zigner, when the paperwork went home for the field trip dad kept it, then as the field trip came he signed a permission slip, I guess it was originally distorted (this is the story I got from the teacher, I don't know what happened for sure), so grandma said she would sign another. I had just dropped my son off and my cell phone was on file. To me there's no excuse of why she should have signed the permission slip.
Yes, I would have signed the permission slip, I would have also attended the trip.

The slip signed by Grandma is moot as dad already signed a slip.

momyof2

Thegeekess, if only this is was truly what happened I wouldn't be asking for legal advice, there's so much more to the story. I had NO knowledge of the trip.
Grandma signed the permission slip
My son left school on my custody day without my knowledge
The teacher watched grandma-volunteer sign
No one even called me
I have requested volunteer no longer be in the class because of this reason and many other inappropriate things she has done over the course of 2 years. I don't think that is unreasonable. I'm asking for advice on why the school will not remove her from the classroom

Zigner

Thegeekess, if only this is was truly what happened I wouldn't be asking for legal advice, there's so much more to the story. I had NO knowledge of the trip.
Grandma signed the permission slip
My son left school on my custody day without my knowledge
The teacher watched grandma-volunteer sign
No one even called me
I have requested volunteer no longer be in the class because of this reason and many other inappropriate things she has done over the course of 2 years. I don't think that is unreasonable. I'm asking for advice on why the school will not remove her from the classroom
No, DAD signed the slip. Then grandma signed a slip for legibility.

You are, in my opinion, way out of line on this one.

momyof2

Zigner this volunteer has created so many issues for my kids. Keeping them in from recess discussing court matters and issues dad and I have. I know why she signed the permission slip, and if it were an innocent one I'd leave it alone. To me this is a black and white issue, a non parent signed a permission slip and my son left the campus without my knowledge. I think this is grounds for her to no longer be in the classroom.

momyof2

Well that's your opinion Zigner, I however think I should have the right to know when my child leaves the school. If dad signed the permission slip then why is her name on the permission slip?

Zigner

Get real - DAD signed a permission slip. DAD knew. That's all that's required (by law).

I get it - you're mad. I get it, there are tons of problems. What YOU need to get is that you are wrong in this particular instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">