• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

school allowed someone else to sign a permission slip

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

momyof2

There is an issue here with my children's safety, otherwise what would be the point of asking the volunteer to not be in the classroom anymore. If you truly knew the whole story you'd understand my concern. I want my children to goto school learn and play peacefully with their friends. This is not happening. Grandma is one reason why, the permission slip is another reason she shouldn't be in the class.

I do agree with you both actually. But yeah, it's not about the safety of the child - that is crystal clear. That's why I see a miserable future ahead.

Proserpina

There is an issue here with my children's safety, otherwise what would be the point of asking the volunteer to not be in the classroom anymore. If you truly knew the whole story you'd understand my concern. I want my children to goto school learn and play peacefully with their friends. This is not happening. Grandma is one reason why, the permission slip is another reason she shouldn't be in the class.
Are you seriously telling us that if not for Grandma, the kids will learn and play peacefully?

I'm actually speechless.

Everyone else: Have at it, guys. I'll go figure out exactly what time we're expected to be at our granddaughter's first soccer match.

Grandma is only a volunteer. Period she can not legally sign a permission slip. That is california state law. You're confusing the fact that the volunteer is his grandma.
It's also a violation of California state law for the grandma to drive over the speed limit. But you do not have any legal cause of action against her for doing so. You are confusing what is a violation of some policy or some law with your having some legal cause of action.

Personally, I do not believe that you have any legal cause of action against anyone for anything that you have described on this forum (outside of your legal rights regarding custody). But if you believe that some action you have described on this forum related to your child's school entitles you to sue the grandmother or your x husband or the school, then I urge you to speak with your attorney about it.

If the permission slip was signed by someone without any authorization from either parent AND something happened as a result of the trip that costs you money (say your child suffered an injury that cost you money), then you might have a cause of action to sue the school/district, or the person who signed the permission slip without any parental authorization, to recover those costs. But as far as I can tell, you have no cause of action. Ask your attorney if you don't believe me.

momyof2

Look, she had no right to sign that permission slip. She is a volunteer, her relationship is irrelevant to the situation. The school agreed to remove her from the classroom because of this event as well as several others. Then at some point within a week changed their minds. I can promise grandma the volunteer will continue to be inappropriate with my children and cause problems if she stays in the class. I think I should have to right to send my kids to school and know that they are playing and learning. When I pick my kids up from school and they're crying because of something that happened or something she said about their mother, this is a problem. Grandma the volunteer thinks she is the mother. That is why she signed the permission slip. I have no problems with any family member volunteering, but when they causes problems maybe it's time to find another classroom to volunteer in. I'll admittedly I was upset about what grandma the volunteer did, as this was several months ago and I have gotten the run around from the school, now I'm frustrated with the school and not taking this matter seriously. My son went on a field trip with an invalid permission slip.

It's also a violation of California state law for the grandma to drive over the speed limit. But you do not have any legal cause of action against her for doing so. You are confusing what is a violation of some policy or some law with your having some legal cause of action.

Personally, I do not believe that you have any legal cause of action against anyone for anything that you have described on this forum (outside of your legal rights regarding custody). But if you believe that some action you have described on this forum related to your child's school entitles you to sue the grandmother or your x husband or the school, then I urge you to speak with your attorney about it.

If the permission slip was signed by someone without any authorization from either parent AND something happened as a result of the trip that costs you money (say your child suffered an injury that cost you money), then you might have a cause of action to sue the school/district, or the person who signed the permission slip without any parental authorization, to recover those costs. But as far as I can tell, you have no cause of action. Ask your attorney if you don't believe me.

LdiJ

Look, she had no right to sign that permission slip. She is a volunteer, her relationship is irrelevant to the situation. The school agreed to remove her from the classroom because of this event as well as several others. Then at some point within a week changed their minds. I can promise grandma the volunteer will continue to be inappropriate with my children and cause problems if she stays in the class. I think I should have to right to send my kids to school and know that they are playing and learning. When I pick my kids up from school and they're crying because of something that happened or something she said about their mother, this is a problem. Grandma the volunteer thinks she is the mother. That is why she signed the permission slip. I have no problems with any family member volunteering, but when they causes problems maybe it's time to find another classroom to volunteer in. I'll admittedly I was upset about what grandma the volunteer did, as this was several months ago and I have gotten the run around from the school, now I'm frustrated with the school and not taking this matter seriously. My son went on a field trip with an invalid permission slip.
I honestly do understand how you feel. However, all you can really do is make your case to the school and if they will not keep her out of the classroom then let them know that you will be very unhappy if the teacher permits anything further to happen. Have you let them know about ALL of the problems? Or are they thinking that the permission slip is the first problem?

momyof2

Yes, I made sure to put everything in a letter simply written with dates. I mailed it to the district. Like I said the principal and student services lady agreed with me and this was a resonable request. Then at some point they changed their minds and didn't inform me.

I honestly do understand how you feel. However, all you can really do is make your case to the school and if they will not keep her out of the classroom then let them know that you will be very unhappy if the teacher permits anything further to happen. Have you let them know about ALL of the problems? Or are they thinking that the permission slip is the first problem?

momyof2

Honestly I'd like to know how any of you would feel if your 6 year old came home and told you all about a field trip he went on, and you thought he was at school all day. Panic and fear set in especially when you're already afraid of your abusive ex husband taking your kids.

Thanks everyone for your advice, even if you feel I'm being unreasonable. I honestly want my kids to go to school and be kids. Volunteer grandma isn't a sweet old lady... You really don't know the whole story here

Just Blue

Honestly I'd like to know how any of you would feel if your 6 year old came home and told you all about a field trip he went on, and you thought he was at school all day. Panic and fear set in especially when you're already afraid of your abusive ex husband taking your kids.

Thanks everyone for your advice, even if you feel I'm being unreasonable. I honestly want my kids to go to school and be kids. Volunteer grandma isn't a sweet old lady... You really don't know the whole story here
No none of the Volunteers here know the "whole story". They based their posts on your comments.

If you want to "spank" the school or Granny for a field trip :rolleyes: perhaps you should pay an attorney to listen to the history of your relationship with both the Ex's.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

If 'Panic' and 'fear' set in because your child went on a field trip (that you supposedly knew nothing about), then you need therapy more than you need an attorney. :cool:

Just Blue

If 'Panic' and 'fear' set in because your child went on a field trip (that you supposedly knew nothing about), then you need therapy more than you need an attorney. :cool:
Totally agree.

My child was in a school bus accident and was almost an hour late home. I called the school after waiting 30 min at the bus stop. They said the was an "issue" with the bus and should be home soon.

When lil'blue got home I asked what the issue was and she told me there was an accident. I was SOOOOOOOO pissed that the school did not call me or let me know when I called THEM to check on where my daughter was.

I called the school to p&m about the way the school handled the situation and that. was. that.

Did not ask for people to be fired. Did not want to sue.

Sh...uff happens and Thank God no chldren (mostly my own) were hurt.

I, IMO, think that OP is allowing her anger toward both her Ex husband and her Ex MIL to cloud her REASON.

Proserpina

The bottom line is that everyone here has, in essence, said the same thing. Even Ldij who is giving you a bit more credit is basically saying the same thing.

Does that not strike you as odd?

It's very simple. Talk to your attorney. You're not liking what the volunteers are saying, and it's best that this doesn't turn into an epic Sunday afternoon movie.

LdiJ

The bottom line is that everyone here has, in essence, said the same thing. Even Ldij who is giving you a bit more credit is basically saying the same thing.

Does that not strike you as odd?

It's very simple. Talk to your attorney. You're not liking what the volunteers are saying, and it's best that this doesn't turn into an epic Sunday afternoon movie.
I am giving her more credit because this kind of thing is something I have seen in real life. I was PTA president at my daughter's elementary school and I spent several hours a day at the school during that time. (I had a very flexible job) I would say that at least one grandparent volunteer a year caused the kind of problems the OP has stated. Volunteering at children's schools is also something the gp rights groups advise grandparents to do if they lose a gpv suit.

Just Blue

I am giving her more credit because this kind of thing is something I have seen in real life. I was PTA president at my daughter's elementary school and I spent several hours a day at the school during that time. (I had a very flexible job) I would say that at least one grandparent volunteer a year caused the kind of problems the OP has stated. Volunteering at children's schools is also something the gp rights groups advise grandparents to do if they lose a gpv suit.
With all due respect...That is not, seemingly, the case here.

OP did not even know that a feild trip was up coming. IMO that tells us much about OP.

LdiJ

With all due respect...That is not, seemingly, the case here.

OP did not even know that a feild trip was up coming. IMO that tells us much about OP.
She talked about a lot more than just the field trip. Mom didn't know about the field trip because dad took the info out of the child's book bag. What I found disturbing was grandma trash talking mom to the child at school and holding the child back from recess so grandma could discuss adult matters with the child. I think that those issues are far more important that the field trip.

Just Blue

She talked about a lot more than just the field trip. Mom didn't know about the field trip because dad took the info out of the child's book bag. What I found disturbing was grandma trash talking mom to the child at school and holding the child back from recess so grandma could discuss adult matters with the child. I think that those issues are far more important that the field trip.
I will agree to disagree. I don't "trust" what OP is posting. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">