• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

school allowed someone else to sign a permission slip

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

momyof2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My son's school allowed my x-moher in law to sign a permission slip for my son to go on a field trip. The permission slip was signed in front of the teacher, and the teacher knew that the grandmother has no parental rights. As a result my son left school without my knowledge.

Last edited:

Ladyback1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My son's school allowed my x-moher in law to sign a permission slip for my son to go on a field trip. The permission slip was signed in front of the teacher, and the teacher knew that the grandmother has no parental rights. As a result my son left school without my knowledge.
is this a field trip you did not want your child to go on?

CdwJava

You can speak top the teacher or to the principal to see that it doesn't happen again. Keep in ind that what you believe the teach er knows and what they actually knew can be two different things.

momyof2

You can speak top the teacher or to the principal to see that it doesn't happen again. Keep in ind that what you believe the teach er knows and what they actually knew can be two different things.
The teacher knew she is only the grandmother and has not legal rights to sign the permission slip. I didn't know of the field trip because the permission slip was never brought home to me because she signed it. My son left the school and I didn't find out until he came home from school that day. The problem is that the grandmother is volunteering in the class and does things like this all the time. The school doesn't seem to be taking this seriously, Im trying to find out what legal rights I have

quincy

No the problem is that I didn't even know my son left the campus, the grandmother continues to cause problems and the school isn't taking this behavior seriously
Can you tell your son to bring all permission slips home so that you can sign them? Then let the teacher/school know that your son has been asked to do so. You can inform the school that, in case of a home emergency, it is important for you to know where your son is and how to reach him. Be nice, but firm.

CdwJava

The teacher knew she is only the grandmother and has not legal rights to sign the permission slip. I didn't know of the field trip because the permission slip was never brought home to me because she signed it. My son left the school and I didn't find out until he came home from school that day. The problem is that the grandmother is volunteering in the class and does things like this all the time. The school doesn't seem to be taking this seriously, Im trying to find out what legal rights I have
You have the right to sit down with the administration and the teacher, to start with. Ask them what happened and for an explanation. Make it clear that the grandmother has no legal right to grant permission for such things. And, again, you SAY the teacher "knew" the grandmother had no legal rights, but what you think a teacher knows and what the teacher actually does can be two different things.

As a note, I am also a public school teacher and I don't have access to information on who has legal custody or the right to sign or not to sign a permission slip in the classroom. If I was relying on a permission slip I am not likely to send home confirmation requests and coded affidavits. I check to see if it is turned in and if it appears to be a legitimate signature and not written, "Child's Mom." Most of these slips also have further contact info and even insurance information on them as well. Of course, that depends on what the activity is. If grandma violated a court order of some kind, you can take action against her. If you make it loud and clear to the school that grandma can't sign these things, then I am sure the school will be more than willing to let your child stay at school when future trips come up and your child has not gotten the permission slip signed.

So, speak to the teacher and the administration so that they know that if you have not personally signed a permission slip, your child stays at school.

momyof2

So here's what happened, the teacher admitted she let the grandmother sign the permission slip. I have had several conversations with the teacher regarding the custody issues. The teacher even formed a personal relationship with dad and grandma, and testified in court (since we are in a heated custody battle) that she allowed the grandmother to sign the permission slip knowing she wasn't a guardian or parent. I have met with the school and the district and asked for the grandmother to no longer volunteer in the class, and my request has been denied. As a volunteer she has done several inappropriate things while at school with my kids. She constantly interrupted their learning, and has even discussed court matters with them. The permission slip os just the last straw.

You have the right to sit down with the administration and the teacher, to start with. Ask them what happened and for an explanation. Make it clear that the grandmother has no legal right to grant permission for such things. And, again, you SAY the teacher "knew" the grandmother had no legal rights, but what you think a teacher knows and what the teacher actually does can be two different things.

As a note, I am also a public school teacher and I don't have access to information on who has legal custody or the right to sign or not to sign a permission slip in the classroom. If I was relying on a permission slip I am not likely to send home confirmation requests and coded affidavits. I check to see if it is turned in and if it appears to be a legitimate signature and not written, "Child's Mom." Most of these slips also have further contact info and even insurance information on them as well. Of course, that depends on what the activity is. If grandma violated a court order of some kind, you can take action against her. If you make it loud and clear to the school that grandma can't sign these things, then I am sure the school will be more than willing to let your child stay at school when future trips come up and your child has not gotten the permission slip signed.

So, speak to the teacher and the administration so that they know that if you have not personally signed a permission slip, your child stays at school.

CdwJava

Have you sat down with the administration and the teacher, yet? What have they said about this?

Have you talked with the Superintendent or approached anyone on the school board?

What do you want to see happen here?

momyof2

I met with the school principal and the director of student services last week, we all agreed she would be taken out of the classroom. 1 week later I find out she's still in the classroom. I contact the school, and Im told they changed their minds and she will only be suspended for 1 month. I just finished writing letters to the board and the state. I have since asked for the volunteer handbook, that would list the rules and regulations as per california state law and it turns out they don't have one. So they are in violation of the state law. I am completely shocked the school won't honor my wishes. I can't understand why they would want to argue with me and keep her in the classroom especially since she is a liability

Have you sat down with the administration and the teacher, yet? What have they said about this?

Have you talked with the Superintendent or approached anyone on the school board?

What do you want to see happen here?

CdwJava

I, too, am surprised they are keeping a volunteer if there is some form of conflict with a parent in the classroom. It makes me wonder if there is something else to all of this. However, the teacher's error in allowing her to sign a permission slip does not necessarily equate to malfeasance on the part of the volunteer (grandma). It could be that they are looking at this as being that the volunteer did nothing wrong or in violation of school rules.

I'mTheFather

What is the custody arrangement? Does the dad have legal custody? If so, then I believe he can designate his mother to sign permission slips.

So here's what happened, the teacher admitted she let the grandmother sign the permission slip. I have had several conversations with the teacher regarding the custody issues. The teacher even formed a personal relationship with dad and grandma, and testified in court (since we are in a heated custody battle) that she allowed the grandmother to sign the permission slip knowing she wasn't a guardian or parent. I have met with the school and the district and asked for the grandmother to no longer volunteer in the class, and my request has been denied. As a volunteer she has done several inappropriate things while at school with my kids. She constantly interrupted their learning, and has even discussed court matters with them. The permission slip os just the last straw.
I am going to take a step back from the school situation that you would like people here to comment on and focus more on the bigger picture (ie. your legal custody battle). It's my personal suggestion that if you are approaching your legal custody battle in the same way that you are approaching this school situation, then you will probably lose legal custody of your child. If you don't have an attorney to help you with the court custody battle, then you should get one. If you do have one, then you should talk with them about the school issue and get them to help you with it - or butt the <...> out of it. Otherwise all you are going to do is make yourself look like a controlling <...>.

momyof2

Well Mark, the post was about the issues with the school but since you've inquired. My x husband is 34 years old male who still lives with his mother. Between the two of them one is with the children at the school, and therapy sessions that dad has been court ordered to comply with. As a result of this, my children refuse to talk to their therapist if dad or grandma is present. Our current 50/50 custody agreement is no longer working for him and he has petitioned the court to relinquish me of my parental rights. I do have an attorney but don't feel this is an issue I should have to involve my attorney. If you'd like me to elaborate on dad and grandmas other dysfunctional behaviors I can. However I am not interested in clouding this matter with irrelevant information.

This is a serious issue with a simple solution. My children should have the right to learn and function at school without dad, grandma or me for that matter glued to their side and causing a distraction. Grandma has discussed court matters and adult issue with my children while at school, she has even kept my daught erin from recess to 'spend time' with her. This is so inappropriate. Grandma is a volunteer, and to remedy I asked from her to be removed from the classroom.

I am going to take a step back from the school situation that you would like people here to comment on and focus more on the bigger picture (ie. your legal custody battle). It's my personal suggestion that if you are approaching your legal custody battle in the same way that you are approaching this school situation, then you will probably lose legal custody of your child. If you don't have an attorney to help you with the court custody battle, then you should get one. If you do have one, then you should talk with them about the school issue and get them to help you with it - or butt the <...> out of it. Otherwise all you are going to do is make yourself look like a controlling <...>.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">