• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Septic system

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

arclight

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WV

About two years ago, a complaint was registered with the town because four homes in the area I live in did not have public sewer; we were on septic systems, which of course have to be pumped. The four homes in question are all owned by the same landlord, and rented out. Eventually, an agreement was met, between the landlords and the town, to deal with the complaint, not that I am sure whether or not it is illegal to have a septic system or not.

A couple of months later, a company came in, dug through the middle of the yard, through the road, and ran new septic lines to divert the waste from each of the homes to a pump station. After everything was said and done, a new pump station sat near the parking area, and the yards were filled in. They also used some sort of loose gravel to fill in the road initially. This created quite a hole in the road as it sunk in. It was eventually paved over, some six months later.

This year we have had heavy rains, but I will add that we have had heavy rains in the past as well. The hill at the location of the septic pump has slid down, removing the earth that was around half of it. The town seeing this, contacted our landlords, and asked to buy the land in the attempt to condemn the land and the houses upon it, rather than dealing with the problem. I just recently found this out.

The deal has progressed a little further, and the homes and land have been appraised for some 87,000 dollars. Two of my neighbors want to sue the town, and the company which contracted the septic pump and line systems. To be honest, I don’t really want to move at all, I just want the problem fixed, but then again I do not own the homes.

Personally, I believe the work that was completed by the company is the cause of the problem. The trench opened up a route for the water to flow and collect around the pump station, causing the hill to slide.

I am just seeking some advice here. If more information is needed, just ask. Thanks in advance.

racer72

To sue you must have standing, as a renter you don't have any. You will have to move. The only standing you may have would be if you have a lease and must vacate your current residence prior to the end of the lease.

arclight

To sue you must have standing, as a renter you don't have any. You will have to move. The only standing you may have would be if you have a lease and must vacate your current residence prior to the end of the lease.
racer72, I appreciate your response. I would imagine as a renter I do have certain rights, however; legal matters concerning the property itself would not be one of them. Is there any way you could cite some sources verifying this? On what do you base your personal information?

Would my neighbors and I be entitled to any sort of compensation due to grievances? And again, could you cite any references?

I just want something to take to them to help them understand. Their both pretty upset at the moment about the whole situation.

Thank you again.

swalsh411

Standing is a basic legal concept taught in any intro to law class. I'm sure wikipedia has an article on it. You also have no damages so long as you were not forced to move prior to the end of your lease.

What "grievances" are you talking about? Is anybody's home uninhabitable at this point? The stress of not knowing whether or not you will need to move is not damages.

arclight

Got it, and it makes perfect sense. My wife and I moved on a couple of weeks ago. My neighbors however, are very insistant that I join them in their agenda.

I agree with them on one part, the job was done incorrectly, and it did cause the earth slide which is causing the town to want to condemn the houses and land.

The only individuals however who even have any sort of case would be the land owners themselves. They would be they only ones who could step forward to say or do anything. They are choosing an alternative route, and they are perfectly within their right to do so, and I respect that.

I appreciate your information regarding the matter, and all the help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">