• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Service of Process in Eviction Hearing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Anon7

My father and I are currently in the process of moving out of an apartment for a number of reasons, which I don't have the time to delve into in depth at the moment but I'll likely edit them in later today. However, due to the cost of the move and the cost of our new residence, we have been unable to pay the rent for a time on the apartment.

Naturally, management has begun the legal processes prescribed for eviction. However, my extremely limited legal knowledge screamed of foul play shortly after receiving the papers. The papers for the hearing/suit were not delivered in person, nor were they delivered via mail or any other official method; we found the papers on the stairs, in a common area, outside of our apartment.

Now, I've done a bit of research and found that under PA code 402, that a clerk or manager at the place of residence if it is an apartment house can accept the papers in lieu of the defendant... However, management in this case is the plaintiff. Is this incorrect service of process?

Among the many other things that they've done which have repeatedly encouraged us to move out, our lease was supposed to be revised at some point during the year and a half that we were there. We never received a copy of said revised version, at any time.

If anyone could reply regarding whether this service of process is incorrect or not, I'd appreciate it; also, if it is incorrect for us to have not received a copy of the supposedly revised lease...
Thanks in advance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">