• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Serving defendant??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AZStarz

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Arizona

I recently filed a civil suit against the Sheriff’s Department, one named deputy (in his official and individual capacity), as well as a couple unknown deputies. I sent the complaint along with acceptance of service paperwork to the Sheriff’s office. The county attorney responded to the complaint and represents them, as well as the county. However, the package sent to the named defendant was sent back to me “Return to Sender – no longer employed here.”

I’m sure it would be difficult to obtain his residential address, so how do I go about serving him now? Since the county attorney represents the others, wouldn’t they need to accept service for him as well, or is there a way to obtain his personal address from the employer?

Any assistance would be very much appreciated. Please let me know if I can provide any further information.

Thank you!

christine1973

AZStarz said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Arizona

I recently filed a civil suit against the Sheriff’s Department, one named deputy (in his official and individual capacity), as well as a couple unknown deputies. I sent the complaint along with acceptance of service paperwork to the Sheriff’s office. The county attorney responded to the complaint and represents them, as well as the county. However, the package sent to the named defendant was sent back to me “Return to Sender – no longer employed here.”

I’m sure it would be difficult to obtain his residential address, so how do I go about serving him now? Since the county attorney represents the others, wouldn’t they need to accept service for him as well, or is there a way to obtain his personal address from the employer?

Any assistance would be very much appreciated. Please let me know if I can provide any further information.

Thank you!
you can have an attorney depose his former employer to obtain his home addy and perhaps even his current employer. if you need to find info on this person i can help.

Last edited:

AZStarz

Thank you for the replies. I did try the phone book, as well as online directories, but no luck. I thought about hiring a private investigator, but wanted to find out if the county attorney could accept service for him since they did for the others. Didn't want to spend the extra money if it wasn't necessary. I will probably have to go ahead and try that route if there are no other options.

I don't have an attorney, at least not at this time. I planned on scheduling some appointments, but the time got away from me.

In response to the last reply...how can you help?

Thanks again!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">