• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Settlement offer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jigman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I am defending a lawsuit for posting some alleged comments in a blog. I did not post the comments and, under oath (during my deposition and in the response to lawsuit), I maintained my innocence. The plaintiff is saying that she will settle this matter if, at the end of the settlement, I give a open letter admitting that I posted these comments. Also I need to give a open admission by posting in the same blog that I posted the earlier comments.

Settlement will give me peace of mind but what are the legal consequences if I agree for the settlement offer? If I give the letter (and open admission) the Plaintiff demands for settlement then I am contradicting my earlier oath and this may put me in deeper trouble.

Last edited:

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I am defending a lawsuit for posting some alleged comments in a blog. I did not post the comments and, under oath (during my deposition and in the response to lawsuit), I maintained my innocence. The plaintiff is saying that she will settle this matter if, at the end of the settlement, I give a letter admitting that I posted these comments. Also I need to give a open admission by posting in the same blog that I posted the comments earlier.

Settlement will give me peace of mind but what are the legal consequences if I agree for the settlement offer? If I give the letter (and open admission) the Plaintiff demands for settlement then I am contradicting my earlier oath and this may put me in deeper trouble.
I am not sure why you would want to admit in writing to making comments online that you didn't make, or to make an online retraction to comments you never wrote.

Does the plaintiff have enough to support the legal action against you without this admission from you (or do you fear that she does)?

Has a computer forensic examination been ordered and you fear what this examination might show?

Other than giving you "peace of mind," are there any other benefits to you in settling rather than having the plaintiff prove her case against you?

In many cases it can make financial sense to settle a lawsuit rather than to continue on with the expense of a trial - and most cases will settle prior to trial - but I would not want to advise that you put in writing that you committed any illegal act that you did not in fact commit - certainly not without guarantees made as part of the settlement that no further legal action will be pursued against you.

I'm sorry, jigman, but the question you ask here is one that requires a personal review of all facts. I suggest that you spend some time with an attorney in your area of Florida who can go over these facts and advise you accordingly. The best that I can advise is that you do not sign any settlement agreement of the sort you mention without an attorney reading through the agreement first.

Good luck.

jigman

Thanks for the response.

I don’t know what evidence she has and I have no clear idea what is computer forensic examination. Once in a while I delete data from my computer to download new movies. I do remember that Plaintiff asked me to keep the computer data intact and I neglected her request and deleted data few times. Recently, a computer person collected the data (or compute forensic image) from my computer.

It seems to me that plaintiff wants to use the data deletion against me. She used “spoliation of evidence” few times after the data or forensic was collected from my computer.

The main problem with me is lack of money. Also my health condition requires me to be peaceful (I am counting my years due to a terminal illness). I am from another country and my language is another obstacle to me. Plaintiff knew my situation and she wants her ego be satisfied through my admission of posting. I am messed up.

My questions are

(a). If plaintiff gives me in writing that no further legal action will be pursued against me once I make open admission then will it be reasonable to consider the settlement offer?

(b). What difference does it make on my job (I am working as office staff in a state agency) and on my public image if the court determines that I spoiled the evidence therefore I am guilty VERSUS settling the case by making a open admission and plaintiff gives me in writing that no further legal action will be pursued against me once I make open admission.

Last edited:

quincy

Thanks for the response.

I don�t know what evidence she has and I have no clear idea what is computer forensic examination. Once in a while I delete data from my computer to download new movies. I do remember that Plaintiff asked me to keep the computer data intact and I neglected her request and deleted data few times. Recently, a computer person collected the data (or compute forensic image) from my computer.

It seems to me that plaintiff wants to use the data deletion against me. She used �spoliation of evidence� few times after the data or forensic was collected from my computer.

The main problem with me is lack of money. Also my health condition requires me to be peaceful (I am counting my years due to a terminal illness). I am from Vietnam and my language is another obstacle to me. Plaintiff knew my situation and she wants her ego be satisfied through my admission of posting. I am messed up.

My questions are

(a). If plaintiff gives me in writing that no further legal action will be pursued against me once I make open admission then will it be reasonable to consider the settlement offer?

(b). What difference does it make on my job (I am working as office staff in a state agency) and on my public image if the court determines that I spoiled the evidence therefore I am guilty VERSUS settling the case by making a open admission and plaintiff gives me in writing that no further legal action will be pursued against me once I make open admission.
You would want any settlement agreement presented to you reviewed by an attorney in your area prior to signing, this to ensure your interests are protected.

As to the difference between admitting publicly on a website that you are guilty of writing (what I assume are defamatory) comments about a person or taking this to court, there are a few differences.

One difference is that, with the settlement agreement, you are not only admitting to doing something you say you didn't do, you must declare this publicly (which can cause harm to your reputation). If you carry this through to court, the court could find the plaintiff did not support his case sufficiently and there will be no finding of guilt. A court could find a lack of evidence supporting the plaintiff's claim or the court could find that what the plaintiff is claiming is defamatory is not, in fact, defamatory at all but pure opinion or rhetorical hyperbole or true. Or, it is also possible that the court could find there was spoliation of evidence and the jury can presume from this finding that the evidence destroyed is evidence of your guilt.

Another difference is that with the settlement agreement, you can put an end to a case that has consumed your thoughts for a long time now and is beginning to affect your health - but you must admit to being guilty of something for which you are not guilty. Without a settlement agreement, you must continue on to a trial and this trial may or may not end in your favor (so it is a gamble), but you do not have to admit to something you did not do.

A third difference is that, with a settlement agreement that is worded properly, you will not have to expend any more time or money on the case and you can with luck start to put this whole incident behind you. With court, more time and more money but a chance of escaping with your honesty and integrity intact.

You must weigh the pros and cons.

I have advised you in the past that you need to seek out the personal assistance of an attorney in your area. You were advised this when you were planning on fighting the claims against you and you are advised this now. You will want a personal review of any settlement agreement presented to you by the plaintiff, and you should not sign it without this review. But what you decide to do is ultimately up to you.

jigman

Thanks again for the response.

My question is on the possible worst case scenario.
What difference does it make to my job (I am working as office staff in a low income job in state agency) if the court determines that I am guilty VERSUS settling the case by making a open admission and plaintiff gives me in writing that no further legal action will be pursued against me once I make open admission.

In other words, my concern is this:
if I make open admission as part of the settlement offer then can my employer fire me from the job for doing unethical thing (because, in the past I already testified under oath that I did not post the comments but now I am making open admission). My employer is not a party in this lawsuit. Due to my health (although I did not post these comments), I prefer to settle this matter if the settlement won’t affect my job in ANY WAY. I request your response.

Last edited:

quincy

Thanks again for the response.

My question is on the possible worst case scenario.
What difference does it make to my job (I am working as office staff in a low income job in state agency) if the court determines that I am guilty VERSUS settling the case by making a open admission and plaintiff gives me in writing that no further legal action will be pursued against me once I make open admission.

In other words, my concern is this:
if I make open admission as part of the settlement offer then can my employer fire me from the job for doing unethical thing (because, in the past I already testified under oath that I did not post the comments but now I am making open admission). My employer is not a party in this lawsuit. Due to my health (although I did not post these comments), I prefer to settle this matter unless the settlement won’t affect my job in ANY WAY. I request your response.
The worst case scenario, I suppose, is that you are fired over your online activities - whether the defamation suit against you is continued in court or whether you settle the matter without a trial but with an online apology and retraction.

You need to, on your own, make the decision to settle or continue to trial. No one here can tell you what your best course of action is without knowing all of the facts (although all of your previous threads added together give us a pretty good indication of what is going on). No one here can tell you if the defamation suit is going to affect your job. No one here can tell you that admitting to lying in your deposition and admitting to defaming the other party is what is best for your health, your job, your reputation.

You NEED to consult with an attorney in your area, jigman. The attorney you see can advise you. The attorney you see can either help draft the settlement agreement so your interests are protected. or read through the agreement drafted by the other party to ensure your interests are protected before signing, or advise you that the matter should continue to court because s/he believes the other party cannot support the suit sufficiently to win.

Good luck with whatever it is you decide to do, jigman.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">