• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

shipping problem.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gavrila

Hi,
I am a small business owner and I have a case as follows:
I sold an Item to private customer,he paid for it and then He asked to help him with shipping.We got in touch with UPS
to find out shipping Fees and Customer wrote a check for shipping.During pick up UPS gave different Fees,based on actual size and weight of shipment,and to make it fast we paid
difference to UPS.During transportation the sold Item was broken.
My question is : "Who has to deal with UPS - I or Customer who bought the Item"?The event took place in New York State.
Your help would be highly appreciated.
Thank you.
Garry

JETX

This is not really the forum for this 'customer service' question.

I would suggest that 'the talker' be whoever UPS says.

racer72

I deal with UPS on a regular basis and this is fairly easy. Once UPS is in possession of the package, ie, carrying out the door of your business, they are responsible for it. Your customer will have to file a claim with UPS and this must be done within 30 days. The item must be in the original packaging. If there was any damage to the box it should have been noted at delivery and will be listed on the reciept. UPS will pay the customer for the amount listed on the shipping receipt plus shipping charges. Now comes the sticky part. If the item cost more that $200, UPS may come back to you and claim that the item was not packaged to UPS standards. There standards really aren't that high. Claim you have sent similar items the same way in the past without problem and that should be the last you hear of it. As far as shipping charges, does the receipt state that the customer is responible for all shipping charges or just the amount you accepted at the time of sale. If neither was listed, then the customer can assume what was charged is all he has to pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">