• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

shoplifting from walmart

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

margarita12

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Upon paying for the two DVDs and a few make up my little sister wanted we left. As we left, we were approached by two individuals telling my sister she was shoplifting. I was unaware of this because while she was looking at makeups I got bored and told her I was going to be in the entertainment center. I met up with her 10 minutes or so later and we went to pay. She had taken two lipstick. My sister is 12 years old. I would like to know if this will go on her permanent record and what and how much are the possible charges? If charge, how long will this stay on record? This is her first time getting in trouble with the law.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Upon paying for the two DVDs and a few make up my little sister wanted we left. As we left, we were approached by two individuals telling my sister she was shoplifting. I was unaware of this because while she was looking at makeups I got bored and told her I was going to be in the entertainment center. I met up with her 10 minutes or so later and we went to pay. She had taken two lipstick. My sister is 12 years old. I would like to know if this will go on her permanent record and what and how much are the possible charges? If charge, how long will this stay on record? This is her first time getting in trouble with the law.
She will be expected in juvenile court. She will have a criminal record for petty theft most likely. She will possibly be given a fine to pay, community service to perform and Walmart will present her with a civil demand. She can expect a record until she actually formally has it sealed (needs a request). She may get lucky however and be given diversion of some type. Also, she can expect NOT to be allowed in Walmart again.

margarita12

She will be expected in juvenile court. She will have a criminal record for petty theft most likely. She will possibly be given a fine to pay, community service to perform and Walmart will present her with a civil demand. She can expect a record until she actually formally has it sealed (needs a request). She may get lucky however and be given diversion of some type. Also, she can expect NOT to be allowed in Walmart again.
How do we request a seal? We were not given a citation of any sort, there were no police involved. Will we receive something in the mail then? May we ask for a diversion instead?

I'm sort of freaking out about this, what proper steps should we be taking so this does not affect her in the future?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
How do we request a seal? We were not given a citation of any sort, there were no police involved. Will we receive something in the mail then? May we ask for a diversion instead?

I'm sort of freaking out about this, what proper steps should we be taking so this does not affect her in the future?
YOu cannot request to seal her records until after she has completed her punishment and down the road. YOu could receive something in the mail from the prosecutor telling her to report. Your sister should get an attorney -- has she told her parents?

margarita12

YOu cannot request to seal her records until after she has completed her punishment and down the road. YOu could receive something in the mail from the prosecutor telling her to report. Your sister should get an attorney -- has she told her parents?
Yes, the LP and I have contacted my parents about this situation when we were confronted. What's the estimate cost of hiring an attorney? In the research I've been doing today, may we instead conclude to expunge?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">