• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I be informed of all motions?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jcameron

This is a civil case involving the collection of a debt by a cell phone company. The defendant has no lawyer. The plaintiff's lawyers have been filing motions and going to court without the defendant's knowledge. The last motion was to change the time of the trial. The defendant has no been contacted at all about this change. Is it the right of the defendant to know of all motions being filed? Who is responsible for letting the defendant know this (i.e. the court or the plaintiff's lawyers)? How should the defendant be informed (i.e. phone call or in writing). It seems as though the plaintiff's lawyers are trying to take advantage of the unrepresented defendant and may be overlooking standard procedures. If so, can this case be dismissed due to bad practices of the lawyers?
Please help!
Thanks, Jaclyn Cameron

stevek3

jcameron said:
This is a civil case involving the collection of a debt by a cell phone company. The defendant has no lawyer. The plaintiff's lawyers have been filing motions and going to court without the defendant's knowledge. The last motion was to change the time of the trial. The defendant has no been contacted at all about this change. Is it the right of the defendant to know of all motions being filed? Who is responsible for letting the defendant know this (i.e. the court or the plaintiff's lawyers)? How should the defendant be informed (i.e. phone call or in writing). It seems as though the plaintiff's lawyers are trying to take advantage of the unrepresented defendant and may be overlooking standard procedures. If so, can this case be dismissed due to bad practices of the lawyers?
Please help!
Thanks, Jaclyn Cameron
Jaclyn, are you one of Dionne Warwick's master psychics? How does the defendant know all this has been happening if the defendant is not even aware of any of this happening in the first place? This is too spooky for me.

J

jcameron

stevek3 said:
Jaclyn, are you one of Dionne Warwick's master psychics? How does the defendant know all this has been happening if the defendant is not even aware of any of this happening in the first place? This is too spooky for me.
Wow, I didn't realize that this site was not run by professionals. Thanks for trying to answer my question.
Not that it is relevant to the question I was asking, but the defendant happened to call the court house to find out what he had to do to file a continuance and they told him that he was supposed to be in court two days before. Further investigation on the phone and internet revealed the motions and court activity.
There, I hope I calmed your fear. Thanks again for answering my question.

J

jcameron

stephenk said:
Jaclyn, what important information did you delete from your post? Cmon, I know you will get it.
What, do you want the state I live in? Illinois. Other than that, there is no relevant info I left out. Thanks for trying to answer my question, though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">