• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I pursue a subpoena?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ataushumme

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I have discovered an emotionally abusive relationship that my child has been the victim of. I have discovered it primarily through email and instant messages exchanged between my child and the other party. I am going to confront the parents of the other party and demand that the abuse stop and the relationship end. I have saved the communications between the two parties, but I fear that when I confront my child's abuser that they will get my child to delete these communications at their original source. Are my copies of these communications sufficient evidence if I decide to go to court with these allegations, or should I subpoena the various original sources first before I confront the parents of the other party? Thanks for any advice.

azskye

Call An Attorney First

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I have discovered an emotionally abusive relationship that my child has been the victim of. I have discovered it primarily through email and instant messages exchanged between my child and the other party. I am going to confront the parents of the other party and demand that the abuse stop and the relationship end. I have saved the communications between the two parties, but I fear that when I confront my child's abuser that they will get my child to delete these communications at their original source. Are my copies of these communications sufficient evidence if I decide to go to court with these allegations, or should I subpoena the various original sources first before I confront the parents of the other party? Thanks for any advice.
You didn't say what type of abuse you are speaking about. Is the abuser is a child, or just pretending to be a child?

If I were in your shoes I would contact an attorney first. The abuser may not be a child at all, they may have done this before and have a juvenile or adult record. Or they may have been sued in civil court. Before confronting someone about this type of problem, better to know what they've done, or not done, and what all your options are. A $150 consult may save you years of headache. I would also replace the hard drive in your computer, and save the one that has the messages on it. That way your daughter has no ability to delete anything more. Is it possible that some messages have already been deleted? If so, they can be retrieved by experts if their "shadow" is still there.

Please know that I am not an attorney. Good Luck!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">