• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

should we seek council?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vscola

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

I am in a rather complicated situation and just got sued over it and I am not sure what to do.

I am one of 4 defendants (the others are my family members and my current employer). From what I can gather reading through the 2 inch stack of paper work, I am being accused of stealing patient information (names and addresses) from my place of former employment as well as lying about that place of employment.

The names and addresses in question were from a newsletter my sister (another defendant) and I sent out telling our past patients (we do allergy testing) of our new place of employment. The only people we sent this information to had signed up over the past several months for a newsletter we send out (and we announced our new location in this newsletter). These names and addresses were not from the private files from the original doctors office (as we are accused) but from this sign-up list.

Since we live in a rather small community, we also created a flier announcing our new location and delivered it to every home in some of the more populated areas. We are also accused of using patients private information to deliver these fliers.

It gets rather complicated after that involving some slander against my sister (this past doctor's office called up every patient we had seen in the past 2 years and told them my sister stole their personal information) and a large amount of accounts receivable due to my mother's estate (my sister and I worked under my mother).

I can refute every charge that I can find in the suit against me, but will that be enough? My mother worked for this doctor for 15 years and he treated her so horribly. I thought all of this was behind us and then he files suit! I just do not know what to do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">