• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Simple courthouse question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lyndie

When going to an Indiana courthouse to view someone's marriage license, what all are you allowed to see? Do you see ss#? Birth certificates? Or just dates and signatures?

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
When going to an Indiana courthouse to view someone's marriage license, what all are you allowed to see? Do you see ss#? Birth certificates? Or just dates and signatures?
What happened when you called the courthouse to ask?

quincy

Social security numbers are redacted from all documents provided to the public (or should be).

adjusterjack

Go to the courthouse and see what you can see. That'll answer your question.

quincy

What happened when you called the courthouse to ask?
^^^^

Calling and asking sure seems to be easiest. :)

Official marriage and death certificates are available only through the local county clerk's office, but many certificates are available to view online and records of marriages (deaths, births) are available through the state Department of Health Vital Records department. Because a search for an official record is done by the clerk's office, the request should be specific (names, dates of issuance if possible, county where it was issued). If only a marriage certificate is requested, only a marriage certificate will be searched for and presented for view (i.e., no birth certificate, no death certificate).

Last edited:

FlyingRon

I can't vouch for Indiana, but looking at my Virginia one, there's no SSN on it. It's just got my name and my wife's (unmaried) name, our city and state of domicile, previous marriage disposition, and ages. The bottom and the date and lcoation of the marriage and the identifcation of the minister who performed the ceremony.

quincy

I can't vouch for Indiana, but looking at my Virginia one, there's no SSN on it. It's just got my name and my wife's (unmaried) name, our city and state of domicile, previous marriage disposition, and ages. The bottom and the date and lcoation of the marriage and the identifcation of the minister who performed the ceremony.
I have never seen social security numbers printed on any of the certificates mentioned, either.

But, even if a social security number was (for some unexplainable reason) printed on a document that can be accessed by the public, redaction of the social security number is required prior to public disclosure.

In other words, while the public is allowed access to most documents held by the government, this right to access is not absolute and can be, and is often, abridged in a whole host of ways for a whole host of reasons.

Last edited:

LdiJ

Birth certificates in Indiana cannot be obtained at a courthouse. They have the be obtained through the vital records department. You also have to be related to a party in order to obtain their birth certificate.

Attached are how to obtain marriage license copies in Marion County, I suspect the procedure would be similar in other counties:

http://www.indy.gov/eGov/County/Clerk/Marriage/Pages/certified-copies.aspx

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">