• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slander - do they have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Exegesis1962

What is the name of your state? - Californiaundefined

Almost 2 yrs ago my wife mentioned to our Pastor(K)a concern that a church member(S)might be a homosexual. Last month we repeated that conversation to another church member(J)in response to her similar assertion about someone else. Apparently J and K talked, K apparently contacted S, gave her our phone#, my work phone#, and our Emails. S is threatening to sue for slander if we don't apologize because it damages her reputation as a minister, and she states that several people will provide sworn statements to support this(we've told nobody else).Is there a case?

S

seniorjudge

Exegesis1962 said:

Almost 2 yrs ago my wife mentioned to our Pastor(K)a concern that a church member(S)might be a homosexual. Last month we repeated that conversation to another church member(J)in response to her similar assertion about someone else. Apparently J and K talked, K apparently contacted S, gave her our phone#, my work phone#, and our Emails. S is threatening to sue for slander if we don't apologize because it damages her reputation as a minister, and she states that several people will provide sworn statements to support this(we've told nobody else).Is there a case?
Expressing a concern that someone might be a homosexual is not defamatory.

AZIS

is this how it is?

Should we first ask if the way it was relay.... was it really an expression of concern or was it stated as a fact? I think that the way it was said has some bearing on if it damages a reputation. SO which was it?

Second question...why do you care if someone may be homosexual...I mean enough to be spreading rumors or as you put it...concern? :D

BelizeBreeze

AZIS said:
Should we first ask if the way it was relay.... was it really an expression of concern or was it stated as a fact? I think that the way it was said has some bearing on if it damages a reputation. SO which was it?

Second question...why do you care if someone may be homosexual...I mean enough to be spreading rumors or as you put it...concern? :D
Your questions are irrelevant. Calling someone a fag, *****, gay, lesbo or anyother derivation of homosexual is not slander nor is stating an opinion or concern. :rolleyes:

Veronica1228

Exegesis1962 said:

Don't you people pray in your church, or is it gossip only?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">