• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slander lawsuit against an attorney.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jneuman

What is the name of your state? Illinois.
I went to court to ask for an expungement for an arrest that was dismissed several months earlier. I asked the judge to expunge the arrest from my arrest record. The State attorney had a chance to speak and said some very bad things about me, that where not true. The state attorney had no idea what he was talking about and maliciously slandered me. The state attorney said many things that where not true and slandered me by calling me some very very bad names. I didn't have any criminal charges against me when this attorney said these things about me. I was only there to get a arrest expunged from my arrest record. Can I bring a Slander lawsuit against him or the state attorneys office? If I am able to file a lawsuit, what kind of damages can be awarded for something like this, how much?

HomeGuru

jneuman said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois.
I went to court to ask for an expungement for an arrest that was dismissed several months earlier. I asked the judge to expunge the arrest from my arrest record. The State attorney had a chance to speak and said some very bad things about me, that where not true. The state attorney had no idea what he was talking about and maliciously slandered me. The state attorney said many things that where not true and slandered me by calling me some very very bad names. I didn't have any criminal charges against me when this attorney said these things about me. I was only there to get a arrest expunged from my arrest record. Can I bring a Slander lawsuit against him or the state attorneys office? If I am able to file a lawsuit, what kind of damages can be awarded for something like this, how much?
**A: Hmmmmm, I would guess you could sue for say $2.5 million.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">