• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slander, Libel, Sue?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DHicks

What is the name of your state? VA

As a Resident Director of Residential Housing on a private university, I am in charge of 3 undergraduate Resident Assistants and 1 Graduate Assistant who help me run the dorm. I was accused by 2 of 3 Resident Assistants, 1 graduate assistant, and the "alleged victim" of stealing the "victim's" magazines and letters/mail (federal offense?). The Dean received an anonymous letter on the matter. The Dean called me into her office, showed me the letter, and took it back. Astonished, I told her that I knew nothing about any type of theft. Then she summoned the grad assistant, who in my presence, disavowed any knowledge of a letter accusing me of theft. When I returned to my office, I asked my staff as a group of 4 and individually staff if they knew about the theft and the accusation lodged against me. All confessed to knowing about the accusations and the anonymous letter. All the RA's told me that the grad assistant told the "alleged victim" to write an anonymous letter to the Dean. Although I was not told the name of the "alleged victim" I knew who she was: she is the only person out of 50 girls who gets magazines on a regular basis. A 3rd RA who did not take part in the accusation, confessed to me that she read the magazines; she did not implicate the others. How the victim deduced that I stole her property is beyond my scope of understanding, and since she will not speak to me, then I'll never understand how the finger was pointed at me. All mail sit in an unsecured mail box area (like a message center) in my office area for pick up. After hours anyone on my staff, with a key to my office, has access to the mail area. Anyone could have taken the young lady's magazines and mail. Other than hurt feelings and embarrassment, have I any recourse to take against people making libelous statements about me? I feel as if I have been stigmatized and branded a thief. The "victim, " my "charge," will not speak to me. My boss (The dean) has not pursued this further, but I am concerned about my reputation.

V

Veronica01

You haven't sustained any damage. What relief you will be asking for in a lawsuit. Just ignore it a go normal in your life.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">