• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Someone using your image without permission in something they are profiting from.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

youcantstopme

Would it be wise (or worth it) to sue someone who is using a photo of you, in a manner that is belittling you for comedic effect, in front of big audiences without your permission? I am identifiable in the photo as my full name is clearly and largely displayed with the photo. The person is profiting from the entire "show", which the picture is a part of, but not making a profit specifically from the photo.

Would it be wise (or worth it) to sue someone who is using a photo of you, in a manner that is belittling you for comedic effect, in front of big audiences without your permission? I am identifiable in the photo as my full name is clearly and largely displayed with the photo. The person is profiting from the entire "show", which the picture is a part of, but not making a profit specifically from the photo.
This seems familiar.

quincy

It could be possible to sue someone under the circumstances you describe. It depends on the show, for one thing, and the photo. And a lot of different facts and factors would need to be reviewed and considered to determine if such a suit could be successful or would be financially worthwhile.

I already gave your "friend" RogerR/johndoh an idea of under what circumstances a photo could be used that could support a legal action against the user of the photo.

If this was a candid photo taken and the photographer did not have your permission to use the photo in a commercial manner, then, yes, you could sue and you could potentially win such a suit. It could potentially be considered a misappropriation of your name and likeness (invasion of privacy tort). But states differ in some significant ways in their misappropriation laws.

All facts, including the state name, need to be personally reviewed by an attorney in your (or Roger's or johndoh's or whoever's) area.

I forwarded the private message you sent me to administrators of this site, by the way.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">