• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stalking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

theresapre

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I am writing today because I signed for a certified letter. Here is a little background..

My husband & I divorced a couple of years ago. Approximately 6 months later, he had a woman move in who had a 2 year old daughter (now 4 years old). They stayed together up until March of this year, due to some circumstances. Apparently, he had been trying to get her to move out for approx 6 months to no avail because she had never worked.. and had nowhere to go. On the night that all came to a head, my ex tried to discipline the little girl by putting soap in her mouth for swearing (something that had been done in the past by both the mom and my ex, joe). The mom (Jenn) used it to her advantage and had Joe arrested for domestic violence. The next morning before he was released, she went and got a PPO, which kept him out of his own home!! She then stayed there 'rent free' for approx 6 weeks, during which time she gathered and took approx $3,000+ worth of his belongings! Joe finally went to court for the domestic violence charge and pleaded no contest. He was sentenced to 6 months probation, charged a fine and the PPO will stay in effect for the next 6 months as well.

Now, during this time I sent Jenn a message on her Facebook account which said... "Hey, where are the rings I bought for Joe?? I'm pretty sure that you will either have to produce them or reimburse him for them!!". Today, I got a certified (notarized) letter from her which reads...

"This letter is to inform you that I do not want you or any of your children to contact, harass, or stalk me or my children ever again. Contact including but not limited to; in person, by phone, by text, by email, US mail, on Facebook, on Myspace, or any third party contact. If there is any contact, stalking or harassment after receipt of this letter, I will pursue criminal charges."

My question to you is two-fold...

1) Is this letter legal? Do I really have to worry about it at all? I have done nothing to her!! However, if I was to see her out in public... I don't feel I should have to worry about her pursuing this! Is there anything I can do to counter this letter?

2) Joe was told by his attorney that he could go after her for the things she took now. Where should he begin??? Should he call the police first? Or let his lawyer handle it? Is it too late now? He had to wait til after sentencing to see if he could even pursue this...

Thank you so very much!!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Leave the poor woman alone! Why would you insert yourself in the situation? They were not YOUR rings!

theresapre

Leave the poor woman alone! Why would you insert yourself in the situation? They were not YOUR rings!
The rings were purchased by me, were worth a lot of money and were not hers to take (along with everything else). Joe and I got back together & we are both upset that they are gone. One was his wedding ring, the other was a solid gold elk ring... both have great sentimental value to BOTH of us. I merely asked her a question in the hopes she would still have them and return them. I have no desire to speak to her again! Furthermore, she states that she doesn't want me 'stalking' her.. and so, I wonder how it is she got my address (it's non-published)!! The really strange thing about that is, we have seen her driving by my house on a few occasions and also Joe's! Neither of our houses are on a common route for anything in particular. So, I ask.. who is stalking who??

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The rings were purchased by me, were worth a lot of money and were not hers to take (along with everything else). Joe and I got back together & we are both upset that they are gone. One was his wedding ring, the other was a solid gold elk ring... both have great sentimental value to BOTH of us. I merely asked her a question in the hopes she would still have them and return them. I have no desire to speak to her again! Furthermore, she states that she doesn't want me 'stalking' her.. and so, I wonder how it is she got my address (it's non-published)!! The really strange thing about that is, we have seen her driving by my house on a few occasions and also Joe's! Neither of our houses are on a common route for anything in particular. So, I ask.. who is stalking who??
Based on the information YOU posted, you are the stalker.

Again, as you said, the rings were HIS, not yours. Remember? You bought them for Joe.

Silverplum

The only behavior you can and should be controlling is yours.

Just like I'm not going to correct your spelling and grammar. ;)

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I am writing today because I signed for a certified letter. Here is a little background..

My husband & I divorced a couple of years ago. Approximately 6 months later, he had a woman move in who had a 2 year old daughter (now 4 years old). They stayed together up until March of this year, due to some circumstances. Apparently, he had been trying to get her to move out for approx 6 months to no avail because she had never worked.. and had nowhere to go. On the night that all came to a head, my ex tried to discipline the little girl by putting soap in her mouth for swearing (something that had been done in the past by both the mom and my ex, joe). The mom (Jenn) used it to her advantage and had Joe arrested for domestic violence. The next morning before he was released, she went and got a PPO, which kept him out of his own home!! She then stayed there 'rent free' for approx 6 weeks, during which time she gathered and took approx $3,000+ worth of his belongings! Joe finally went to court for the domestic violence charge and pleaded no contest. He was sentenced to 6 months probation, charged a fine and the PPO will stay in effect for the next 6 months as well.

Now, during this time I sent Jenn a message on her Facebook account which said... "Hey, where are the rings I bought for Joe?? I'm pretty sure that you will either have to produce them or reimburse him for them!!". Today, I got a certified (notarized) letter from her which reads...

"This letter is to inform you that I do not want you or any of your children to contact, harass, or stalk me or my children ever again. Contact including but not limited to; in person, by phone, by text, by email, US mail, on Facebook, on Myspace, or any third party contact. If there is any contact, stalking or harassment after receipt of this letter, I will pursue criminal charges."

My question to you is two-fold...

1) Is this letter legal? Do I really have to worry about it at all? I have done nothing to her!! However, if I was to see her out in public... I don't feel I should have to worry about her pursuing this! Is there anything I can do to counter this letter?

2) Joe was told by his attorney that he could go after her for the things she took now. Where should he begin??? Should he call the police first? Or let his lawyer handle it? Is it too late now? He had to wait til after sentencing to see if he could even pursue this...

Thank you so very much!!

LillianX

The theft of his property is none of your business. Not even if you really, really want it to be. If he believes that his property has been stolen, he needs to contact the police. They may or may not do anything, given that it's been three months. This has nothing to do with you.

Her letter can be used as evidence in a case against you, should she feel the need to press charges against you in the future. I'm not even going to speculate on what charges those might be.

Leave her alone.

OHRoadwarrior

Joe trying to regain his possessions is probably a waste of time also.

I had a cousin who lost his house (buying land contract from relative of wife) AND all his possessions. When he finally gained a court order to get his possessions, the 30% of them left, were mysteriously broken, ripped or otherwise destroyed. The paperwork for the land contract was gone. Of course his ex had no knowledge of what happened, since she put them in the shed out back and it must have happened when she was gone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">