• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

State of Arizona - Power of Attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mantoilet

Phoenix, Arizona

Hello:

A friend of mine who is living out of the country has asked me to become his power of attorney. He is to appear in court at the beginning of the year. The case involves a matter of renegotiating restitution. When I reviewed the power of attorney form it states that my appearance will be exactly the same as if he were here in court.
I have not agreed because I am wondering if the judge finds him guilty can I be thrown in jail, or can I be made liable for the monies owed?

Sincerely,
Marla

JETX

mantoilet said:
A friend of mine who is living out of the country has asked me to become his power of attorney. He is to appear in court at the beginning of the year. The case involves a matter of renegotiating restitution. When I reviewed the power of attorney form it states that my appearance will be exactly the same as if he were here in court.
I have not agreed because I am wondering if the judge finds him guilty can I be thrown in jail, or can I be made liable for the monies owed?

Sincerely,
Marla
Marla, someone is trying to pull a fast one on you. First, unless you are a licensed attorney, you cannot make a court appearance in place of someone else.
Second, even if you could, you would not be thrown in jail in their place, nor would you be liable for their debt.

Suggestion, tell him to find any 'guinea pig' for his little legal experiment.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

I "LOVE" that forum name!!

Are you sure you're not writing from Kentucky, Alabama, or one of the other Appalachian States?

IAAL

rmet4nzkx

Is your friend out of country to avoid this legal action or are they serving in the military? If they are serving in the military then they need to look into the SSCRA, otherwise they are acamming you. Don't you think the judge would be interested in this turn of events? Then when he fails to appear..... :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">