• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of Limitations?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scaredconfused

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this, but it seemed to be the best place.

I was recently served with papers stating that I owe my ex-husband a little over $2000 for some taxes he paid. We filed a joint return in 2001 and got a refund. We divorced in 2002. Then in 2003 HE got a CP2000 notice saying that we had some unreported income and we owed over $5000. So he sent them a check and paid it. He NEVER said anything to me about it. I NEVER recieved anything from the IRS. So then last week...about 6 1/2 years after he paid it, he is suing me for half of it. And that was the first I heard of ANY of this. I don't know why he waited soooo long to say anything about it.

Is there some sort of statute of limitations on all of this?

THANKS!

Ronin

Per Texas Civil Practice & Remedies Code - Section 16.004 your ex only had four years to make a claim against you for the money.

If you do not properly assert this defense it may be waived. If you want to make sure it is done properly have an attorney respond to the lawsuit so it can be promptly dismissed if the statute of limitations applies to your case.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">