• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stay granted in Judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thehyena

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I hope this is a simple question.
I do not know if the facts of the case are important, so I'll put them all in one paragraph, and if they are not necessary, please skip past it.

Facts of case/judgement: I had a landlord that I was disputing with... in short, inhabitable living conditions, including rats, falling ceiling, leaking toilet, mold. On the fifth or so time they served me with a pay or quit notice, they managed to intercept my notice to appear (I guess... I wanted to respond, I did the first four or so times and have proof) - so I was evicted by default judgement.

I filed for a temporary stay, as the 3 days in the county did not allow enough time to find suitable dwelling in the school district. The stay was granted... for an adjusted settlement fee. This amount was for an "adjusted rent" - it stated... and I paid it.

Now there is a judgement on my credit report. I was alerted when I had my credit report pulled by a rental agency not too long ago. They said they don't even know what the judgement is for, as there's not full information... it has the name of the plaintiff, case number, court address, date filed and claim amount. Date resolved and liability amount are "NA."

The court database is not up at this time of night, but I can pull the case tomorrow.
Also, I can dig out the notice of the stay, if necessary.

Basically, I want to know... do I just mail a copy of the stay to the credit bureau? Or should I also try to get the judgement vacated? Or should I just let it stay on there for the remaining six years? (I haven't had 1 person who has run my credit say it adversely effected me - it's other things that do)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">