• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

student loan problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kholtmann9

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I co-signed on a loan for my daughter for college, and she is not paying it back. She is working, but she is basically blowing me off. She dropped out of school after one quarter/semester and withdrew the rest of the money and used it to pay bills and buy a car, which she neither ask or told me about. I want to know what I need to do to get her wages garnished to go to pay the loan. I would like to do this on my own without a lawyer, how do I go about doing this. I live in Kentucky and she lives in ohio.

CourtClerk

You'll have to sue her in Ohio. Until then, be prepared for your wages to be garnished for repayment of the loan.

Rexlan

The process started many years ago and it was coined the phrase "parenting". You can't force her to suddenly become a responsible citizen.

You should not be paying the loan and you should let it default. They will come after her and then you .... lucky you. If they have approached you, without going after her, then you need to refuse payment. Co-signing her loan does not make you the principal debtor although you will probably get some repercussion from the default on your own credit standing ... lucky you twice. I would let it play and I certainly would not be paying it for her.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">