• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Subpoena and Legal advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cpurple395

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Illinois

From what I have been told I am going to be issued a subpoena for a case that I know a little bit about, however not the full details. The case involves an on-going dispute between two residents at my university and had gotten out of control and is going to court. Now, I do no want to go and testify because most the what this case is based on is heresay, and both parties I have had problems with in the past (the one being sued is an ex-friend of mine and the other is the ex-roomate of the one being sure - both of which caused me grief with thier petty behavior) and I do not care to be a part of this case because 1. I don'tcare, and 2. I'm getting nohting out of this case. The case is extremely petty and is mostly he said/she said stuff that has gotten out of hand and the two parties involved just cannot let past events stay in the past. Persoanlly I believe I will be a bad witness becasue I, putting this nicely, hate both parties involved and really could care less about this dispute.

Now my issue is with this supposed subpoena I am going to be issued within the next few days. I was told by one of the parties I was getting one and that they needed my home address. Can I refuse this subpeona? Do I have to show up on the court date? Can I take the 5th Amendment on the stand? What happens if I do not show up? Do I need to hire a lawyer? And can I write a written deposition instead of testifying in court?

Thanks for your time,

Caroline :)

S

seniorjudge

Cpurple395 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Illinois

From what I have been told I am going to be issued a subpoena for a case that I know a little bit about, however not the full details. The case involves an on-going dispute between two residents at my university and had gotten out of control and is going to court. Now, I do no want to go and testify because most the what this case is based on is heresay, and both parties I have had problems with in the past (the one being sued is an ex-friend of mine and the other is the ex-roomate of the one being sure - both of which caused me grief with thier petty behavior) and I do not care to be a part of this case because 1. I don'tcare, and 2. I'm getting nohting out of this case. The case is extremely petty and is mostly he said/she said stuff that has gotten out of hand and the two parties involved just cannot let past events stay in the past. Persoanlly I believe I will be a bad witness becasue I, putting this nicely, hate both parties involved and really could care less about this dispute.

Now my issue is with this supposed subpoena I am going to be issued within the next few days. I was told by one of the parties I was getting one and that they needed my home address. Can I refuse this subpeona? Do I have to show up on the court date? Can I take the 5th Amendment on the stand? What happens if I do not show up? Do I need to hire a lawyer? And can I write a written deposition instead of testifying in court?

Thanks for your time,

Caroline :)

Q: Can I refuse this subpeona?

A: No.

Q: Do I have to show up on the court date?

A: Yes.

Q: Can I take the 5th Amendment on the stand?

A: You cannot take the fifth amendment on the stand unless you are guilty of a crime and do not want to make incriminating statements about that crime.

Q: What happens if I do not show up?

A: You may be charged with contempt of court.

Q: Do I need to hire a lawyer?

A: You can always hire an attorney if you wish.

Q: And can I write a written deposition instead of testifying in court?

A: Yes, if all parties agree.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">