• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

subpoena reimbursement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

uneducated15

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? california

hi, i was served with a subpoena to appear at a court trial hearing as a witness.

1. the process server (lawyer's paralegal) did not personally serve me. she served my neighbor and submitted a signed the affidavit stating she served me personally.
2. the lawyer mailed my parents a copy of the subpoena and also submitted a signed affidavit stating he served me personally in person at my parent's house.
3. i did not appear at the trial because i thought i didn't have to because i wasn't personally served because i was living out of state and not a resident in california.
4. the judge issued a bench warrant
5. i was then served a day after the initial trial date to appear at a trial hearing 3 days later (Monday)
6. when i appeared, the judge scolded me and asked why i did not appear and he issued a bench warrant. i then told the judge the service was improper as i live in chicago and there's no way he or his paralegal could have served me. the lawyer took out the signed affidavit and said i was personally served. i argued that that's fraudulent. i told the judge i can prove it because my employer uses an online website which has workday logs (clock in/clock out) and my supervisor can state i was at work (security cameras).
7. i was then told to testify and not leave. hours later...i testified. lawyer refused to pay me to appear
8. it's now 4 months later and the lawyer still refused to pay me to appear.

what do i do? can i sue the lawyer? i spent nearly a thousand dollars on a plane ticket i bought last minute to appear within 2 days! then there's hotel fees and car rental. i also lost $$ from not working.

CdwJava

Was this for a civil or criminal trial?

Was this for a California case?

If in CA there are procedures in place for compensation of witnesses. But, it depends on the type of case and whether it was criminal or civil.

uneducated15

Was this for a civil or criminal trial?

Was this for a California case?

If in CA there are procedures in place for compensation of witnesses. But, it depends on the type of case and whether it was criminal or civil.
yes, california superior court
civil case

CdwJava

You should be eligible for witness fees and mileage. However, these must generally be requested at the time of service or before, and if no fees are received your attendance would not be required. If you did not request these fees (which can be as low as $35 per day and 20 cents per mile), then the subpoenaing party is not generally obligated to pay you.

At this point, you may be out of luck.

uneducated15

You should be eligible for witness fees and mileage. However, these must generally be requested at the time of service or before, and if no fees are received your attendance would not be required. If you did not request these fees (which can be as low as $35 per day and 20 cents per mile), then the subpoenaing party is not generally obligated to pay you.

At this point, you may be out of luck.

Yes I did request to be reimbursed. I made the request directly to the lawyer who issued the subpoena at the courthouse. I even asked the judge's clerk. The lawyer said it'll be in the mail. Nothing! I spent a lot of money flying from Chicago to San Diego. So I want my money back. Should I sue the lawyer?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">