• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SUbpoena time requirements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lpomlpom

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?FL

If served a subpoena duces tecum by an attorney , by mail, what is the time requirement? Can a subpoena compell you to appear within 4 days?

S

seniorjudge

"...Can a subpoena compell you to appear within 4 days?..."

Yes.

You must also bring whatever is listed in the subpoena. If you think the subpoena is burdensome, some jurisdictions allow you to file a motion to quash the subpoena or amend it. It is a tough motion to win.

You Are Guilty

Have you tried calling the lawyer and telling them the date is no good but "X" date would be fine?

Or, (and I freely admit a lack of knowledge as to FL civ pro), but I only use a subpoena "deuces tecum" to obtain documents (and I put a big "No personal appearance required" disclaimer at the bottom). So there's a chance they only want the paperwork and not your appearance, which might make the deadline easier to live with.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">