• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

successor in interest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Karole Crasner

What is the name of your state? California.
my mother inlaw is recently widowed. her husband was to be named in a lawsuit alledging fraud which is asking for large sums of money as remedy. he dies before the complaint is filed so the plaintiff names her as his "successor in interest". She knew nothing of his dealings with or between the plaintiff. the plaintiff believes she does and knows where the money is. how does she go about showing the court that she is not a party to the action. She is afraid the plaintif will win and take what little savings she has left. The husband left her with nothing. What are her rights as a poor widow?

How should she answer the complaint?

K

Karole Crasner

Hello? anybody out there who can help me?
Please let me know what her rights are or show me any direction to info.

Thanks

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Basically, you're asking if someone on this site can represent your "poor widow" friend; i.e., "How should she answer the complaint?"

We answer specific questions; not generalized "how do I do it" questions, nor do we represent people from this site. Since it appears that she needs representation, then I would suggest that she consult with, and hire, a local attorney.

IAAL

K

Karole Crasner

successor widow

I understand your respone.
the I will ask " can a widow be sued for something her now dead husband did?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: successor widow

Karole Crasner said:
I understand your respone.
the I will ask " can a widow be sued for something her now dead husband did?

My response:

Yes - - but not because the widow, herself, did anything wrong. The lawsuit can be maintained only to the extent that the widow is the person now presumed to have access to the funds in controversy, and presumed to have access to information; e.g., the documents, which may tend to show that the deceased husband (the Defendant) had liability to the Plaintiff.

Good luck to her, and please, have her consult with a local attorney immediately.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">