• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sue or Sued - Part 2

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jmayers7362

What is the name of your state? NC

Can we be sued in below situations?

1. The sister had a key to our apartment, which was my fiancee's and her cousins together until the cousin moved out and into the hospital with leukemia. Then I moved in to help pay bills. The sister of my fiancee and the aunt came to the apartment during the day and took everything of the cousins and took a dresser and some other things that was not the belongings of the cousin. Mind you, they had a key to the apartment, so it was not breaking in. However they refuse to return what was not theres. Can we do anything?

2. The sister of my fiancee put a wedding dress on her credit card for my fiancee. The dress i non-returnable. We have paid 100.00 on the dress and her grandmother paid 125.00 on it and we still owe 203.00. After the car and trailer deal, my fiancee told the sister to keep the wedding dress and sell it. She does not want the dress because her sister has made it such a big issue. Her sister thinks that she can sue us for the amount owed on the dress and interest, pain, duress or whatever... However, she elected to put it on her own credit card and we never said when or how we would pay or back or even if we would or could pay her back. In fact, we asked that she wait until we have the cash, but she did not. Can she sue us now for this?

3. The car insurance was in the sister's name. My fiancee was paying $108.00 a month to the sister for insurance. Now that she has the car, do we have to continue to pay car insurance? The sister says that we do or she can sue us over that as well.

HomeGuru

jmayers7362 said:
What is the name of your state? NC

Can we be sued in below situations?

1. The sister had a key to our apartment, which was my fiancee's and her cousins together until the cousin moved out and into the hospital with leukemia. Then I moved in to help pay bills. The sister of my fiancee and the aunt came to the apartment during the day and took everything of the cousins and took a dresser and some other things that was not the belongings of the cousin. Mind you, they had a key to the apartment, so it was not breaking in. However they refuse to return what was not theres. Can we do anything?

2. The sister of my fiancee put a wedding dress on her credit card for my fiancee. The dress i non-returnable. We have paid 100.00 on the dress and her grandmother paid 125.00 on it and we still owe 203.00. After the car and trailer deal, my fiancee told the sister to keep the wedding dress and sell it. She does not want the dress because her sister has made it such a big issue. Her sister thinks that she can sue us for the amount owed on the dress and interest, pain, duress or whatever... However, she elected to put it on her own credit card and we never said when or how we would pay or back or even if we would or could pay her back. In fact, we asked that she wait until we have the cash, but she did not. Can she sue us now for this?

3. The car insurance was in the sister's name. My fiancee was paying $108.00 a month to the sister for insurance. Now that she has the car, do we have to continue to pay car insurance? The sister says that we do or she can sue us over that as well.

**A: 1, 2 &3. Yes, yes and yes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">