• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sue threat over a house tattoo.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Drake S

Edited for pronouns to make it clearer:

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Delaware

Hello, I'm trying to get a legal advice on this situation. Me and my friend have been going over another man's house, to hang out, but mostly because he would tattoo him for an hour or two at the time.
Twice a month tops, not more than that, he would invite me to come with him.
My friend is a professional tattoo artist, who has worked in the shop for 7 years. Now working a regular job and tattooing his 1 friend (like I said no more than couple times a month) to not get rusty. The homeowner - his "client" , always invites him to do it.
So saying that my friend was pro, recently as winter 2015 for 7 years - his work is not scratchy or ever infected, it comes in sessions but its very solid for the amount of time and essentially for free with maximum sterility available from similar setups he did in the shop but even more sterile.

Recently though, his client "the homeowner" got on medication for his head trauma issues and stomach (after 4 years spent in jail, he recently got out in 2015) - his health has declined and also being completely broke at that point so after last quick session of outline - he started to threaten my friend to finish his arm for free and more, because he doesn't like the current OUTLINE doesn't look "finished" (obviously completely not finished yet in one 1 hour session).
My friend shortly after started to receive threats of legal action from his client "the homeowner" if my friend tattoo artist won't hurry up to finish the tattoo and do more work on him for free, using suing issue as sort of "blackmail" or "reket" to control him and get more free work.
My friend tattoo artist has blocked his phone number and wants nothing to do with him after this, he is more concerned for his safety at this moment rather than being sued. But the his "client" says its coming soon.

So can HE "the homeowner" sue my friend tattoo artist over a house tattoo that he just "doesn't like how it looks so far" which is just bare bones outline??? (no ground of infection or anything of that sort unless he is purposely pouring gasoline on it as we speak, he also has bad hygiene)

Having said all this, there is a couple things worth mentioning -
- the tattoo is NOT infected ,
- the tattoo is NOT scratchy all lines are solid ,
- there was NO papers signed for these tattoos,
- they were done at HIS house,
- as far as I know Delaware laws do not require for you to have a License to tattoo, albeit house tattooing is illegal to some degree as far as I understand.
- What can the tattoo artist expect having to go to court over this matter, and what is the best course of action to take on legal ground?
- What could penalties be?

Thank you for your Help.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Delaware

Hello, I'm trying to get a legal advice on this situation. Me and my friend have been going over another man's house, to hang out, but mostly because he would tattoo him for an hour or two at the time.
Twice a month tops, not more than that, he would invite me to come with him.
He is a professional tattoo artist, who has worked in the shop for 7 years. Now working a regular job and tattooing his 1 friend (like I said no more than couple times a month) to not get rusty. Who always invites him to do it.
So saying that he was pro, recently as winter 2015 for 7 years - his work is not scratchy or ever infected, it comes in sessions but its very solid for the amount of time and essentially for free with maximum sterility available from similar setups he did in the shop but even more sterile.

Recently though, his client got on medication for his head trauma issues and stomach (after 4 years spent in jail, he recently got out in 2015) - his health has declined and also being completely broke at that point so after last quick session of outline - he started to threaten my friend to finish his arm for free and more, because he doesn't like the current OUTLINE doesn't look "finished" (obviously completely not finished yet in one 1 hour session).
My friend shortly after started to receive threats of legal action from that guy if my friend won't hurry up to finish the tattoo and do more work on him for free, using suing issue as sort of "blackmail" or "reket" to control him and get more free work.
The tattoo artist has blocked his phone number and wants nothing to do with him after this, he is more concerned for his safety at this moment rather than being sued. But the his "client" says its coming soon.

So can HE sue my friend over a house tattoo that he just "doesn't like how it looks so far" which is just bare bones outline??? (no ground of infection or anything of that sort unless he is purposely pouring gasoline on it as we speak, he also has bad hygiene)

Having said all this, there is a couple things worth mentioning -
- the tattoo is NOT infected ,
- the tattoo is NOT scratchy all lines are solid ,
- there was NO papers signed for these tattoos,
- they were done at HIS house,
- as far as I know Delaware laws do not require for you to have a License to tattoo, albeit house tattooing is illegal to some degree as far as I understand.
- What can the tattoo artist expect having to go to court over this matter, and what is the best course of action to take on legal ground?
- What could penalties be?

Thank you for your Help.
CAN he sue? Sure! America, what a country!

WILL he sue? No telling. But, if he does sue, it really won't be your problem.

ETA: Feel free to have your friend log on to ask his own questions about his own legal matter.

tranquility

Pronouns are not your friend here. Can you edit to remove he and him and replace with "friend" and "homeowner" please.

Drake S

Pronouns are not your friend here. Can you edit to remove he and him and replace with "friend" and "homeowner" please.
I did my best I hope its a bit clearer now. I apologize English is not my best language.

CAN he sue? Sure! America, what a country!

WILL he sue? No telling. But, if he does sue, it really won't be your problem.

ETA: Feel free to have your friend log on to ask his own questions about his own legal matter.
He is already asking everyone he can, I'm just trying to get extra information on this situation...if you are kind enough to provide some perspective...it would be greatly appreciated at that.

Last edited:

tranquility

It seems hard to think a contract was created or some promissory estoppel of reliance done in order to obligate your friend to continue the tattoo.

Drake S

It seems hard to think a contract was created or some promissory estoppel of reliance done in order to obligate your friend to continue the tattoo.
Wonderful information. So, give that nothing was signed, the homeowner has no bases of proof? Or it just won't matter anyway because it was home private ordeal?
In other words there was no injury, no papers signed, no infections etc. just blatant threats to file the laws suit or else, do you suggest it might just fall through?

Thanks in advance for your time again.

tranquility

Wonderful information. So, give that nothing was signed, the homeowner has no bases of proof?
Not at all. A contract like what you are talking about would not have to be in writing and signed. But, a contract has to have each party give up something. (aka consideration) From what you've written, it does not seem the homeowner gave up something. He might be able to argue he gave a beer or two and the right to not be tattooed to allow another to do a tattoo to keep in practice. That might be considered consideration enough to create a contract. I just think it a stretch.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">