• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sued For Accident That Didn't Happen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lt_hamilton

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL
I am being sued for a supposed auto accident I am certain I was not involved in. The suit was originally filed in small claims court then transferred to civil court, which was the first notice I had of any of this. How do I respond to Requests for Production, Request for Admissions, and Interrogatories for an event I was not involved in? The Request for Admissions states that I have no facts to rely on as a basis for defense. Of course I don't, I wasn't involved!

racer72

Turn everything over to your insurance company, they will defend you up to your policy limits. If the amount you are being sued for exceeds your policy limits, you may wish to speak to an attorney of your choice too.

lt_hamilton

Racer72,
Thanks for your response!
I only had PL/PD at the time, would an insurance company still handle this for me?
Also, how can this attorney/debt collector bring suit if there is no citation or any evidence, to my knowledge, of my involvement? I readily admit I had driving issues in 2003, which is when they state this took place, but I am certain this was not one of those issues.

las365

Is this a debt collection suit on a default judgment that was taken against you in or around 2003?

lt_hamilton

No, the summons stated I am being sued for auto negligence in an accident on 4/2/2003. The other party was apparently paid 17k by Progressive Auto Insurance and this lawyer is trying to collect on behalf of Progressive.
I cannot afford an attorney as I live on SS disability. I've contacted free legal services, but they don't handle lawsuits, so I'm trying to handle this myself. I realize even if I lost they can't take my disability benefits, but I do not want this on my record either.

racer72

Turn everything you received over the the company that provided your insurance at the time of the accident. They will provide you with a lawyer at no cost to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">