+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    leprechaun Guest


    state is Texas -- if you are being sued for back property taxes and have been served papers, do you have to answer back and do you have to appear in court if you are not going to protest?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Somnambulist University
    No, you don't have to answer or appear and a default judgment will be rendered against you.

    However, I have to wonder about doing this considering you accept the liability. For example, if you let it go to court, you will be liable for attorney fees and court costs, in addition to your current liability. If you are willing to let the property go, contact the taxing authority and see about a voluntary turnover.

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Landlord being sued for unpaid property taxes
    By AnotherTenant in forum Landlord / Tenant Issues
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-29-2010, 01:21 PM
  2. Back taxes
    By Kimby in forum Marriage, Domestic Partnerships and Other Family Law Matters
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-08-2010, 12:46 PM
  3. Back taxes...
    By bjinaz in forum Tax Law
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-16-2003, 04:47 PM
  4. Can siblings be sued for Property Taxes owed on parents home?
    By Kgary in forum Other Real Estate Law Questions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-15-2001, 12:44 PM
  5. back taxes
    By brianamom2 in forum Other Real Estate Law Questions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-21-2001, 01:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

© Since 1995 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.