• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing the City

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

StuckinPA

Currently I reside in Philadelphia,PA,and ever since moving here almost 3 painful years ago now my personal vehicle has undergone a series of vandalisms. I do have police reports on a couple of them,but what I want to know is if this persists and I have to keep putting out money I can't afford to fix these damages,which by the way have also caused me psychological damages as well,can I just go after my city of residence since it technically happened on their property?

Litigation!

StuckinPA said:
Currently I reside in Philadelphia,PA,and ever since moving here almost 3 painful years ago now my personal vehicle has undergone a series of vandalisms. I do have police reports on a couple of them,but what I want to know is if this persists and I have to keep putting out money I can't afford to fix these damages,which by the way have also caused me psychological damages as well,can I just go after my city of residence since it technically happened on their property?
My response:

Sure, you can file a Claim for Damages against the City of Philly. It won't get you anywhere, but sure, go ahead. At least you'll get a Civics lesson.

IAAL

StuckinPA

I don't need any more free lessons,just results. What about class action suits? I'm not in this to get nowhere,it just adds fuel to the fire.

racer72

The city did not do the damage and they did not force you to live where you do. It is up to you to mitigate the damages, park in a safer spot, in a garage, etc. Ever consider moving to a better neighborhood? A situation such as this does not come close to class action status.

StuckinPA

Technically the city did do and encourage the damage by allowing the local hoodlums to roam freely without suspicion,hell the police are right behind me when I'd sit and talk with my friend in a car at night but they don't seem to ever bother with vandals.
Also if I could afford to move I would in a split second,so I expect a little respect of my personal property while I am here,otherwise why don't they just allow all kinds of crime to be committed without repercussion.
As for the class action suit,yes if I can round up enough angry people who have also been victims of this I'm sure we can come up with something.

badapple40

Cities have immunity for their governmental functions. Proper policing is a governmental function.

You have no case.

badapple40

Please post back and let us know how it goes after:

1. The judge dismissed your case;
2. And awards the other side their attorneys fees for your frivolous suit.

StuckinPA

Oh yeah,it does look like this is one of 'those' places. Perhaps it's just a bunch of wannabes that couldn't pass the bar.

Litigation!

StuckinPA said:
Oh yeah,it does look like this is one of 'those' places. Perhaps it's just a bunch of wannabes that couldn't pass the bar.

My response:

Oh, little child!

What did the local attorneys say to you? Well, of course they told you to stick it in your ear!

You've had ALL week to talk to a local attorney, and they all told you the same thing we've been telling you. Oh, you never called a local attorney?

And I suppose they're all just wannabe's too, right?

You poor little child! Actually, you poor little ass-hole loser!

IAAL

badapple40

I'm the first one to tell someone if they arguably have a case. You don't.

Apparently, as my father used to say, you need to learn the lesson the hard way. Feel free to post back in a couple months and tell us about how the judge dismissed your case and forced you to pay around $5,000 for the other side's attorney fees though!

stephenk

"Technically the city did do and encourage the damage by allowing the local hoodlums to roam freely without suspicion,"

Since you seem to know the identity of the vandals, why don't you just sue them?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">