• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing An Ex-Girlfriend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MAJMark

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA and NC

During the course of our relationship, I loaned my ex-girlfriend over $9300. She lives in NC; I live in CA. I have some documentation to support my case (bank statements, credit card statements, an email from her acknowledging the debt). Is there anything I can do short of a lawsuit, such as arbitration? Where would this arbitration occur? Would I have to appear in NC?

If I do pursue a lawsuit, based upon what I have stated, do I have a decent chance of winning? And would I have to appear or could a lawyer represent me?

Thanks in advance.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

racer72

Is there anything I can do short of a lawsuit, such as arbitration?
Arbitration is available in some places, you would have to inquire at the court house where you intend to take action. You will still file a lawsuit then both parties would agree to the arbitration.

Where would this arbitration occur?
North Carolina if you want her to appear.

Would I have to appear in NC?
Yes.

If I do pursue a lawsuit, based upon what I have stated, do I have a decent chance of winning?
50:50 more or less.

And would I have to appear or could a lawyer represent me?
You will have to appear.

Now you have to ask if it is worth persuing a case. Things such as travel costs, food and lodging are not recoverable. Plus you would have to try to collect from across the country.

MAJMark

Thanks

I appreciate your response.

Will this lawsuit have to be filed in the county in which she resides?

If so, will I be best served utilizing a law firm in her county?

As far as documentation, I know a signed agreement acknowleding the debt would be optimal, but based upon what I have, bank statements showing money transfers, emails from her acknowleding the debt and promising payment, will that be legally sufficient proof?

And thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">