• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing a hotel that is not in "good standing" with the state?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adastra

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Hawaii

I have a personal injury suit that I'm bringing against a large hotel in Hawaii. I've tried to deal with their insurance company to get them to at least cover my medical bills related to the accident (directly related...ambulance and hospital stay, etc.). The hotel is DEFINITELY still operating, but on the Hawaii Secretary of State's website it shows that they aren't in good standing. Should I go ahead and proceed with the lawsuit? They're not defunct, as I said, they're still very much operating, and while they're not OWNED by Marriott/Starwood, they are managed by them. So I guess my questions are:

1) Who do I sue from the standpoint of hotel ownership? The hotel has a trade name, which is owned by the Hawaii LP that owns the property (not in good standing), the LP is owned by a Hawaii LLC (not in good standing) and a foreign (California) LP (not required to register with Hawaii), the Hawaii LLC is owned by the aforementioned California LP. The California LP is owned by a California corporation.
2) Do I also sue the management company (Starwood/Marriott)? If so, do I only name their Hawaii entity, or do I name the parent corporate entity?

Thanks!
adastra

CdwJava

You DO have an attorney, don't you? This is not a do-it-yourself project ... At least, not if you want to stand a decent chance of prevailing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">