• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

suing mistress

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jim40

I have friend who is going though a divorce in California. Her soon to be exhusband met a lady on the internet in Arizona. He met her and was bragging about how much money this home wrecker has (he falls in the same category). She discovered her by an email he forgot to delete. Now for the question. Can my friend sue this rich lady for distroying their 30 year marriage? Isn't there some kind of court ruling in the past that says a spouse can sue the person responsible for destroying her marriage? Any advice will helpful. Thank you

HomeGuru

jim40 said:
I have friend who is going though a divorce in California. Her soon to be exhusband met a lady on the internet in Arizona. He met her and was bragging about how much money this home wrecker has (he falls in the same category). She discovered her by an email he forgot to delete. Now for the question. Can my friend sue this rich lady for distroying their 30 year marriage? Isn't there some kind of court ruling in the past that says a spouse can sue the person responsible for destroying her marriage? Any advice will helpful. Thank you
My response: your friend needs to sue the internet.

J

jim40

I really appreciate your smart ass answer. I came here before and no one helped. I thought I'd give it one more try. But like before this seems to be just a bunch of people that don't know the law and guess. If they can't come close to knowing, they bullsh__ their way through. Thanks for nothing. Sorry I asked for help from a bunch of non qualified wannabee attorneys.

HomeGuru

You totally missed my point.
Your question was....."isn't there some sort of court ruling that says a spouse can sue the person responsible for destroying her marriage".
In this instance, that person that destroyed her marriage would be her own husband. So she can sue her own husband and she probably is. The court ruling, case or statutory law is commonly called divorce.
Suing the rich lady would be like suing the internet.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jim40 said:
My response:

California does not recognize "Alienation of Affection" as a cause of action; ergo, your friend cannot sue the "other woman." As a matter of fact, California doesn't recognize ANY "fault" grounds for a divorce. That's because California is a "pure" No-Fault divorce State, that recognizes only "Irreconcilable Differences" as the only ground for divorce.

Therefore, your friend's only option is to file for Dissolution on the ground of Irreconcilable Differences - - that's it.

IAAL

J

jim40

Sorry to get so hostile. I thank both of your responses and appreciate the time it took to answer my question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">