• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing Neighbor for Punitive Damages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dhindi

What is the name of your state? NY

A few weeks ago, I was mistakenly included in an ongoing dispute between my neighbor next door and my neighbor across the street. The dispute was regarding picking up dog feces. After several requests to pick up after her dog, my neighbor across the street proceeded to place the feces on my neighbor's doorstep. My neighbor, in retaliation, had her daughter fling the feces on the neighbor's stoop and smeared it on my doorknob as well as my landlord's as well as placing several droppings on our porch (these actions were witnessed). Because I didn't have an inkling this occurred, I touched the doorknob upon leaving my house. I called the police to file a report which I did, but the police claimed it was not a crime, but a violation, which must be witnessed by police officers in order to submit a fine.

I would like to file a case against this woman. I was told I could only do it in Supreme Court (no monetary minimum). However, I need to know what law (CLR # ???) I am filing under. Please advise.

xSighingx

A few weeks ago, I was mistakenly included in an ongoing dispute between my neighbor next door and my neighbor across the street. The dispute was regarding picking up dog feces. After several requests to pick up after her dog, my neighbor across the street proceeded to place the feces on my neighbor's doorstep. My neighbor, in retaliation, had her daughter fling the feces on the neighbor's stoop and smeared it on my doorknob as well as my landlord's as well as placing several droppings on our porch (these actions were witnessed). Because I didn't have an inkling this occurred, I touched the doorknob upon leaving my house. I called the police to file a report which I did, but the police claimed it was not a crime, but a violation, which must be witnessed by police officers in order to submit a fine.

I would like to file a case against this woman. I was told I could only do it in Supreme Court (no monetary minimum). However, I need to know what law (CLR # ???) I am filing under. Please advise
***GEEEZZZ...A no-brainer......Grow the hell up....ALL OF YALL!!!!!!

xSighingx

dhindi said:

I would like to file a case against this woman. I was told I could only do it in Supreme Court (no monetary minimum). However, I need to know what law (CLR # ???) I am filing under. Please advise.
IAAL....This belongs in the "Most Stupidist Post Contest".....Please...!

Last edited by a moderator:

pojo2

Sounds like a bunch of children! You watched the news lately to see what really matters in life!

D

dhindi

Listen "Y'all (ignorant hicks):" I was not involved in this dispute in the first place! I've never even spoken to either neighbor. And in case you're too ignorant to be aware of certain facts, dog feces carry diseases and I have two young children who touched the door as well.

Maybe this is not important to you ignorant morons, but it is most certainly relevant to me and this neighbor should be held accountable.

This board is here to assist people with legal issues, so don't be so high and might to discount other people's problems.

You Are Guilty

dhindi said:
Listen "Y'all (ignorant hicks):" I was not involved in this dispute in the first place! I've never even spoken to either neighbor. And in case you're too ignorant to be aware of certain facts, dog feces carry diseases and I have two young children who touched the door as well.

Maybe this is not important to you ignorant morons, but it is most certainly relevant to me and this neighbor should be held accountable.

This board is here to assist people with legal issues, so don't be so high and might to discount other people's problems.
You might want to cite to New York State Fecal Law ("NFL"), section 29(b)(2), which states in pertinent part:
29. Canine feces.

. . .

b. It us unlawful and to commit any of the following acts with respect to such canine feces within the City of New York:

. . .

(2) To distribute, coat, cover, daub, disperse, lay, overlay, proliferate, smear, spray or strew feces upon any real property, public or private.

c. A violation of this section shall be a violation, and punishable by fines of up to $1.00.
However, based on your post, it appears the neighbors will have a strong "contribotory negligence" argument against you, a/k/a the "poopy-hand defense", from the leading case of Flores v. Turd, 189 F.R.D. 54 (NDNY 1999). Therefore, I suggest you seek out a lawyer.

Good luck.

dhindi said:
Hmm....And WHO is responsible for maintaining a sanitary environment for your kids?

Did you actually let your kids touch ( the outside..where you had full knowledge that it was/could be contaminated) a doorknob with dog feces on it? :rolleyes:

Someone has to be the "bigger" person....

All of "y'all" need to Grow the hell up!

Last edited by a moderator:

BelizeBreeze

I was going to put an end to this by giving you the only legal option you have. But after this diatribe not only is that answer never going to appear, your membership to this forum will 'magically' also disappear.

baystategirl said:
Sticky...I am offended :( ...this New Yorker is not a true yankee..he is just a sh*thead...uuhm ...make that HAND from NY. :rolleyes: A TRUE yankee would not sue for a messy hand.
Please note the difference ! ;)
AWE.. :( My intent was not to offend you....or anyone else with some common sense. no matter the state they come from....

I just intendended to return a remark made from this imbecile. ;)

I apologize if I offended anyone.

Unfortunately...I allowed this idiot to get under my skin :(

Sometimes sh^t needs to be thrown back into the face of the "flingers" :D

Just Blue

StickyFingers said:
AWE.. :( My intent was not to offend you....or anyone else with some common sense. no matter the state they come from....

I just intendended to return a remark made from this imbecile. ;)

I apologize if I offended anyone.

Unfortunately...I allowed this idiot to get under my skin :(

Sometimes sh^t needs to be thrown back into the face of the "flingers" :D
I know...I was just kidding...I am dumbfounded by this poster...to come to an advice forum and ask for advice on how to sue because some kid wiped poop on the handle of your door AND expect a serious answer???? This OP's damaged.....I pity the neighbors.

You Are Guilty

Well, I guess we know why the OP got the old "Poop Knob" treatment now, huh?

Another free word of advice, OP - next time you see a paper bag on your porch on fire... don't stamp it out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">