• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

suing out of state?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

notmyname

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NJ

I worked as a consultant with a company in MA while living in NJ. I work on assignments that my company ABC finds me. ABC is a consulting firm which finds assignments for its employees either directly or through middle agents. I was put on an assigment in NY through 2 middle agents XYZ and 123 as show below.

ABC(MA) ---> XYZ(GE) ---> 123(NJ) ---> End Client(NY) where I physically worked on the assignment.

I had contract with my company ABC that I would not join its client or clients' clients. But I did not have any contracts with XYZ or 123. ABC and XYZ had some contract that they will not place me directly with any of its clients or clients' clients. After 6 months of assignments, I joined 123 directly and continued my assignment with the end client for 10 months after I left ABC. All this happened 2 years ago.

Recently now, ABC filed a case against XYZ in Georgia for non-payment of some $10K, XYZ counter sued ABC thinking that they placed me directly. So ABC asked me if I could provide a letter stating that I joined 123 on my own and I provided that to them. After showing these papers to the XYZ, they filed "motion to add party" in the court to add me as a party in the case, saying that I broke the contractual agreement with them, which I never did, or never signed.

Do you know if the judge will permit XYZ to add me as a party to the case thats going on in Georgia? I had no contact in Georgia or never been there, and since I live in NJ, do you think I will be added in the case? I received all the papers through ABC's lawyer and never have/had contact with XYZ.

Thanks for your help!

S

seniorjudge

You need a lawyer.

You do not want to do anything inadvertent to give the Georgia court (if you haven't already!)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">