• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing Utility Company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

leebo

What is the name of your state?*North Carolina*

Hello all,

New to the forum. I am going to be suing a utility company. I believe I have a pretty good case. Well, good enough to feel confident going to court anyway.

I went to Small Claims with them in their county but the magistrate dismissed it on grounds of insufficient evidence (wouldn't let me show evidence). Now, I'm going to re-file in my own county in district court and request a jury trial. And yes, I'm going Pro Se. Not by choice. I called 57 law firms in my area and could not find one that dealt with consumer matters and none of the firms I spoke to were interested in taking the case. Of course, some may argue that that is a sign of my case's substance or chance of winning, but I disagree. Personally, I think if was filing for divoice or bankruptcy, had a medical malpractice case or sustained an auto injury, I would be set for representation, LOL!

I have been doing a lot of research and one predominate theme I seem to find is that judges can be annoyed with or downright hostile towards pro se litigants. While I have no illusions of playing a part in my own "Law & Order" fantacy in court, I am committed to following through with this case. To that end, I want to give the judge as little reason to be hostile towards me as possible. I believe that being familiar with procedure and form enough to show some minute confidence in court might assure the judge that I will not hold up his docket because of complete ignorance of what I'm doing.

I've been studying the Rules of Court Procedure for my district court, but there are few examples of forms structure and format. Can anyone suggest other resources that I could study for North Carolina?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">