• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

summons

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adjusterjack

(Arizona) Can I send a summons for a civil suit to a corporations corporate office?
The word "can" denotes the ability to do something. So, yes, you "can" put your summons in an envelope and "send" it to the corporation's corporate office?

Is that really the question you wanted to ask?

Whether service would be successful and proper depends on a lot of details that you haven't revealed.

Is this action in small claims court (up to $3500 in AZ) or in a higher court?

Answer that question and we'll be on our way to a helpful discussion as I have lived in AZ for many years and am very familiar with the court system.

latigo

(Arizona) Can I send a summons for a civil suit to a corporations corporate office?
Certainly you can. But it will not result in an effective service of process.

That can be accomplished in several ways. But the normal practice is to deliver a copy of the summons and a copy of the pleading to the corporation's statutory agent authorized by law to receive service. And then mailing a copy of each to the corporation.

You can find the name and address of the corporate statutory agent by calling the offices of the Corporation Division of the Arizona Corporation Commission.

If no such designation is on file with those offices, you can make effective personal service by depositing two copies of each the summon and the pleading in the office of the Corporation Commission.

But this method doesn't require that you mail copies to the corporation. That will be taken care of by the Commission which is the purpose of depositing the extra copies. (See: Arizona Rules of Civil Procedure - Rule 4.1 (k) (l) Process: Service of Process within Arizona)

Also remember that you will need to file a "Return or Affidavit of Service" with the clerk of the court where the action is filed.

latigo

The word "can" denotes the ability to do something. So, yes, you "can" put your summons in an envelope and "send" it to the corporation's corporate office? blah, blah, blah . . . . . . . I have lived in AZ for many years, . . more blah, blah . . . .
With all the respect owing, your continual trumpeting in here recalls this lesson in social behavior from a lass of the non de plume "Miss Manners".

"It's far more impressive when others discover your good qualities WITHOUT your help." (Emphasis added)

Last edited by a moderator:

evilsorcerer1

The suit is for more than $3,500 and will be held in Superior Court. I plan to call the offices of the Corporation Division of the Arizona Corporation Commission tomorrow to obtain the name and address of the corporate statutory agent if that is the best method.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">