• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Summons done correctly?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

meddjay

I'm just a little confused here. I mailed a Waiver of Service of Summons to the address that was on the letterhead of my employment termination letter. It was sent back to me undeliverable. The correct amount of time (30 days) had gone past when I recieved it back, so I double checked the address (because I was worried that I didn't have the address correct) and found out that they had moved to a new location which I wasn't aware of because obviously I didn't work for them anymore. So then I mailed the summons to the new address.

My first question is: did I do all of that correctly? The way I sent the summons, or should I have sent out another waiver of service first to the new address?

There is only 1 defendant listed in the law suit who works for the Federal Government (TSA) and when I sent out the waiver of service, I sent the waiver made out to the defendant (the named individual working for the TSA) and a copy of that waiver to the District Attorney for my District. (NOTE: I had the DA's address correct to send them a copy, but still did not recieve the W of S back in the time required from them or the defendant) So, when I sent out the summons I mailed it (signed return reciept requested) to the defendant, along with a copy (also signed return reciept requested) of the summons to the Attorney General in Washington DC. PLUS another copy of that summons (return reciept) to the District Attorney for this district.

Question #2: One of the young ladies who works at the court said I should send a summons MADE OUT to the Attorney General (like they were the defendant) so my question is why would I do that? I am not suing the Attorney General, I am suing only the person who works for the TSA. I thought that the Attorney General and DA in the specific district just REPRESENTED the TSA, not was a defendant. When I read the procedures everything points to sending the summons to the original named defendant, not the Attorney General who would just get a copy of the summons that named the TSA employee.

Question 2b: Did she misunderstand me, or was I the one who misunderstood and should have in fact, sent a summons naming the Attorney General in the summons?

Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">