• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Survivor benifits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jaky

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? LA

I applied for survivor benifits on my son's behalf. The claim was denied because I didn't have proof the deceased fathered my child. My son have visited the family's home several times but they said he never acknowledge him as his son and they are not interested in taking a dna test. I've seen online that the coroner keeps a sample of dna on file. I'm not sure how true this is but i need help. I not sure what to do or where to turn. :(

Dandy Don

Survivor benefits from whom? The Social Security Administration? From a company benefit plan? Is father's name on the child's birth certificate or was he paying any child support obligations? How much are the benefits?

jaky

Benifits for the social security administration. His father's name was not on the birth certificate and as far child support, i filed but he was killed before he could receive the paper work.

seniorjudge

Benifits for the social security administration. His father's name was not on the birth certificate and as far child support, i filed but he was killed before he could receive the paper work.
Have you asked the coroner if there are any DNA samples?

Dandy Don

You may be able to file an appeal with the Social Security Administration about this if you figure out other options to pursue--look in your local yellow pages to see if there is an attorney listed who has specific experience with Social Security rules and regulations (not just disability cases) to see if you should pursue an appeal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">