• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

TAB ticket for entering without payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

neurone

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hello,

One night I was trying to get on the subway at 4th st, Union square and all the MTA vending machines were not taking credit cards. No one was around so I foolishly hopped the turnstile and got caught. I was about to mail in the payment but just noticed the back of the ticket says to pay with in 14 days (although the hearing date is scheduled for the 26th), and it's been 3 weeks. So, does this mean that I have to appear for a hearing and plead guilty? If so, I imagine that I'll also incur court fees - does anyone know how much these cost? Finally, is this one of those situations where I can expect to wait around all day to pay?

The text on the back of the ticket:

TO PAY THE VIOLATION
- You may pay in person and receive a cashier receipt on any business day between 8:00AM and 4:45 PM at the office location listed above
- You may pay by mail by mailing a check or money order payable to the transit adjudication bureau to the mailing location listed above. Do not mail cash!
- Write your violation number on your check or money order
- Pay in person or by mail within 15 days (bolded).

TO HAVE A HEARING (CHOOSE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING)
-(just listing the first one here) Appear in person between 8:30AM and 2:0PM at the office location listed above on any business day on or before the hearing date shown on the other side. Bring with you this notice of violation and all documents and/or witnesses you wish to present. Persons under 18 years of age should appear with a parent or legal guardian. Interpreter services shall be made available to deaf persons at no charge.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">