• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Testifying & Anxiety (New Hampshire)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Baern

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Hampshire.

I have severe social anxiety disorder that prevents me from leaving my home most days. Long story short, my previous landlord didn't salt the walkway and I slipped, fell, and broke my leg in several different places. Under the advice of my father and lawyer, I've decided to sue the company. They are fighting it, of course, and the case has gone to trial. I am supposed to testify in court, but again, I have severe anxiety disorder with frequent panic attacks. I'm close to just abandoning the entire process because of it.

I'm wondering if there's a way to avoid testifying in my state? Can I write a statement or do a video testimony? I'd really like to keep at it because I have kids and I'd like them to have a decent shot at life with the money, but my anxiety is overpowering my willpower. Any advice at all will help me immensely.

xylene

You are not alone.

Be strong and testify.

That may sound like the hardest thing in the world.

Let me put it this way- I've never walked in your shoes, but I have worn shoes that hurt my feet.

Consider using pharmaceutical treatment under the care of a doctor to make your testimony possible.

You are not alone.
You do not deserve to be bullied because of your condition.

You are stronger than they think.

You can do it. You deserve justice for your injuries.

quincy

I have severe social anxiety disorder that prevents me from leaving my home most days. Long story short, my previous landlord didn't salt the walkway and I slipped, fell, and broke my leg in several different places. Under the advice of my father and lawyer, I've decided to sue the company. They are fighting it, of course, and the case has gone to trial. I am supposed to testify in court, but again, I have severe anxiety disorder with frequent panic attacks. I'm close to just abandoning the entire process because of it.

I'm wondering if there's a way to avoid testifying in my state? Can I write a statement or do a video testimony? I'd really like to keep at it because I have kids and I'd like them to have a decent shot at life with the money, but my anxiety is overpowering my willpower. Any advice at all will help me immensely.
It is possible (I don't know how probable) that the court will allow you to testify through video conferencing but, if you are the plaintiff in the case, there is no way you can avoid testifying.

Here is a link to a New Hampshire Superior Court Administrative Order, Order 2011-49, on hearings conducted by video conference: http://www.courts.state.nh.us/superior/adminorders/adminorder49.pdf

And here is a link to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, Rule 43 Taking Testimony (see Advisory note 1996 amendment): https://www.law.cornell.edu/rules/frcp/rule_43

You should speak to your attorney about your anxiety disorder and see what your attorney advises. Good luck.

Last edited:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

Your therapist might be able to suggest ways for you to handle such anxiety. :cool:

LdiJ

Are you in therapy? I went through a period of time about 20 years ago where I had severe panic attacks any time I left my home. I finally gave in and agreed to medication and it was the smartest thing I ever did for myself. My doctor put me on Paxil and Xanax. I only had to be on Paxil for about a year, and while I still take the occasional Xanax (maybe once every week or two) I no longer have panic attacks at all. I can actually tell if I am likely to have one and take the Xanax ahead of it, therefore avoiding it entirely.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">