• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sabriels_wolfe

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

Believe it or not this was an accident. I had worked at this store for five years, I was the only trainer in the store and was overwhelmed and stressed and while I was talking to another client, I walked out with a bag of dog food. I hadn't realized that I had done it, but I did do it.

I was later approached by the loss prevention team and they contronted me. I admitted what I had done and was placed under suspension. I quit the company on a Wednesday and paid for the food on that Friday. I never went back.

The other day I received a letter at my old address from a lawyer in California, informing me that I owed $250.00 and that paying this does not prevent criminal prosecution. My main concern is that this not go on my record. It really was an honest mistake.

So my question is this. Do I pay the $250.00? Can I still be arrested and charged with theft? Would this go on my record? If so how can I prevent it?

Thanks for your attention to this matter.

Cherie

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

Believe it or not this was an accident. I had worked at this store for five years, I was the only trainer in the store and was overwhelmed and stressed and while I was talking to another client, I walked out with a bag of dog food. I hadn't realized that I had done it, but I did do it.

I was later approached by the loss prevention team and they contronted me. I admitted what I had done and was placed under suspension. I quit the company on a Wednesday and paid for the food on that Friday. I never went back.

The other day I received a letter at my old address from a lawyer in California, informing me that I owed $250.00 and that paying this does not prevent criminal prosecution. My main concern is that this not go on my record. It really was an honest mistake.

So my question is this. Do I pay the $250.00? Can I still be arrested and charged with theft? Would this go on my record? If so how can I prevent it?

Thanks for your attention to this matter.

Cherie
This is a civil demand and completely separate from any criminal charges. If you don't pay the civil demand the can sue you in civil court for much more.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">