• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

They keep coming after me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bbagnall

I live in Illinois.

Citibank tried to get a judgement against me a few months ago for $9302.56. I went to court as summoned. My case got called and the attorney for Citibank was not present. The judge decided to hold off on dismissing the case. She called all of the other cases. The only 2 people left in the courtroom are myself and another lady that Citibank was trying to go after. The judge called my case again and Citibank of course wasn't there. She dismissed the case. Now, 2 months later, I find out that Citibank re-opened the same case. Is this legal for them to do? Doesn't this fall under double jeopardy or something of that nature? I thought once a case was called twice it's finished. Please advise. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the link for my case information:
http://63.251.13.149/cookcounty/Finddock.asp?DocketKey=CAAE0MB0BHDAHD0MD

Thanks.

bbagnall

I am not sure if it was dismissed with or without prejudice. All I know is that it was dismissed for want of prosecution. I don't know what motion was filed either. All the knowledge I have is what is on the county clerk's website (link below). Any suggestions? Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">