• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Think I Made A Mistake..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smcgarry

What is the name of your state? Texas
Have had temp custody of a child for over a year and finally went to mediation at the beginning of December.
At the end of the mediation session, the bio parents both signed termination papers and we are going to try to adopt, but we had to agree to let other grandparent have weekend visits once a month and some holiday time as well.
Let me just say that I don't have any problem with other grand having time with baby, but now the biological parents are living with her.
Attorney says no home study for other grandparent, no child support from her and no changing our minds since we signed the mediation agreement on that day, which we feel we were pressured to do.

My question is this: Do we have any recourse at all and after the adoption is final, do we HAVE to stick to this agreement, even if it is not in the best "emotional" interest of the child?

Thank you for any constructive, non-sarcastic advice you might be able to offer. (Sorry, I'm just not feeling alot like being slammed for my stupidity right now...too much going on with this and sick elderly Mother all at the same time.) :eek:

Thank you again.

djohnson

You will probably get more response to this question if you post it in the adoption or grandparents rights section. Now that you have signed you aren't going to just be able to take it back. You would have to show a large change in circumstances and I'm not sure if the real parents living there would do it or not. Have you talked to your attorney? Was there in clause in the agreement about bio parents being able to see or not to see the child? Are you the other grand?

smcgarry

The bio parents are allowed 3 hours visitation the last Saturday of the month, supervised by me and my husband and on Christmas day as well.
Thank you for your response. I wasn't real sure where to post this. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">